what are the percentages of breast cancer spreading to the bone?

My sister was just diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma.  Her tumor was 2.5 centimeters and 17 lymph nodes were removed during her lumpectomy of which 11 had cancer.  Now she is complaining of back pain. She is starting chemo Jan 15th for 41/2 months then a masectomy then radiation.  My question is, are there statistics for the chances of spreading the cancer as the number of lymph nodes are infected? And what are the chances of me getting breast cancer now that my sister has it? (She is 54 and i am 48) I go for a mammaography every year and i dont think she did.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
11 lymph nodes positive is a lot. Condsider having preventive mastectomy with reconstruction for you. That is what I told my sisters to do. If she does get/have bone mtes, chemo/raadiation can help.
I do alot of research on pubmed. Search for more than 10 positive nodes.
You may have your question answered by now.
Helpful - 0
Joined Buddism today!
I really enjoy the chanting Nam-Myo-Ho Renge-Kyo

I already feel a difference in my attitude!

Helpful - 0
I don't know of any statistics as far as the number of lymph nodes that are invovled. If the nodes are involved there is a chance that the cancer may have effected other organs but that would be determined either by symptom or by scans that are usually done for this purpose. You might consider being tested for the breast cancer gene ..... family history does play a role in breast cancer. The fact that your Sister didn't go for a mammogram evey year only would mean that it might have been discovered earlier and I would certainly advise you to continue to be monitored yearly as well as doing monthly self breast exams. Breast cancer as a rule can mestatisize to either bone, lung or brain .... it can also recur in the breast or even the chest wall after mastectomy. Mets to bone is the easiest to control of all the possibilities.   Regards .....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.