Breast Cancer Community

19 yr. old+ fat necrosis?

This past March I had a breast reduction and lift. The surgery went well as did the recovery until a month ago. It's hard to explain but the lower half of my left breast has several lumps. They're large and firm and slowly spreading to the upper half of my breast. Also, on the left side of my left breast towards the armpit I have a vertical dimple. Around the dimpled area my skin looks bruised and I feel slight discomfort . I did some research and found out that this may be fat necrosis? I'm only 19 years old and attending school out of state and far away from my PS .  I've tried going to a plastic surgeon in my current location but the appointment did not go as well as i had hoped.  The Dr. said "It's probably nothing but we can schedule a Mammogram Or an ultra sound".  I'm not sure what to do at this point. My questions are:
Am i too young to get a mammogram? and  How dangerous is fat necrosis? any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .
Hi there.

Fat necrosis occurs if the blood supply to the fatty tissues are somehow severed or injured.  Aside from the physical deformities this may cause, there is a very small chance that this can be infected and develop into an abscess.  This occurrence is more common in the elderly or in patients with systemic diseases such as diabetes.  However, it is very hard to tell just by the physical exam if this is indeed fat necrosis and the imaging studies such as ultrasound or mammogram may help.  Women at high risk of breast cancer can undergo mammogram as early as 20 years of age, but I see no problem with you having one if your doctor deems it necessary.  I suggest you discuss these options and possibilities with your doctors and I hope everything will turn out OK.  

Regards and God bless.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.