After a mastectomy in late Oct for early stage, low grade ductal cd my oncologist started me on Arimidex. It took me 3 months to figure out why I have severe shortness of breath and coughing. I stopped taking it and they want me to take Ferama. The surgeon decided because of family history to do the mast. I was less than a cm, no nodes, early stage. Now that I've read the side effects for Ferama and still feel like **** from the mast. ie: pain, burning, swelling, I would just like to get back to normal and then decide if I want to take the Ferama.
My question is, does anyone know the percentage of any of these drugs keeping a reoccurance from happening? Is it really necessary right now or can I wait awhile and then decide. I am almost willing to risk it at this point so I can feel better.
No definite data is available regarding the percentatge of prevention of recurrence. But there are studies which prove that the drugs increase the disease free interval and prevent recurrence and also increase the survival rates.
It would be best to discuss this in details with your oncologist. You may talk to him about how much time you can take to decide and any other queries.
Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other queries.
Thank you for your answer. I was at my family doctore today and also my surgeon. They both agree with me so in April I guess I'll see how my new oncologist likes my thinking. The one that put me on Arimidex in Nov. retired so I have not met my new one yet.
Well, I had a phone call this afternoon from the oncologist office that the chest xray I had yesterday was great. So the nurse informed me that the "new" oncoligist wanted me to start taking Ferama now. I reminded her that they told me last week I would be able to sit down and discuss this with her first but my appointment isn't until April. I also explained my pathology, surgeon conversation and etc. She said that "they" meaning the whole practice of oncologist like to use Arimidex and Ferama with everyone that is early stage, low grade, no nodes. They changed my appt. to next Friday and now I'm wondering if there is a possibility to check via MRI's every 6 months whether anything has changed if I turn down the Ferama.
I hear that the new oncologist was at Ireland Cancer at some point. I'm hoping that I'll be able to relay how I feel up to this point as far as still having pain, swelling and hematoma from the mastectomy in Oct. and not wanting to take anything that will make me feel worse. Geez, once I decided against taking this were the first relief mentally I've had in months and now they just set me back by making me feel if I don't take it I'll be ready to drop over!
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.