Breast Cancer Forum

Biopsy

During a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound, a small lump was discovered in my right breast.  A core needle biopsy showed atypical duct cells and an excisional biopsy was ordered.  After the surgery, the pathology report came back negative.  However, a follow-up ultrasound shows that the lump, presumed to be a fibroadenoma, is still present and only slightly larger in size.  It seems the wire localization used for surgery was not placed properly and the surgery needs to be done again.  Also, during the follow up ultrasound, another lump was discovered in my left breast.  Surgery is recommended for both breasts to remove the lumps.  Because atypical cells are present in the right breast, it is assumed that they could or will be present in the left breast, and a needle biopsy is not recommended.

How often does a wire localization miss?  Should I request a core needle biopsy on the left breast before submitting to surgery?
Dear cfran: If the "lump" was visualized on mammography, the location of the wire can usually be confirmed with this technique.  I would say that it is uncommon for the wire placement to miss.  

You could request a core needle biopsy but the problem with needle biopsy is that a negative needle biopsy does not guarantee that the whole lump is negative and an excisional biopsy may often be recommended.  Of course, any action is dependent upon the level of concern based on the mammogram.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.