Breast Cancer Community

Blue nipple discharge

I was taking a shower and doing my monthly self breast exam when I found a pea sized lump. I scared me to death! It was directly behind my nipple. I had my husband feel it to make sure it was really there. I accidently squeezed it and dark blue like ink discharge came out of my nipple. There was no pain. I suddenly noticed I could make the blue discharge come out of BOTH my nipples when ever I gently squeezed them. That was 12 years ago. My nipples still do and always have since then, expelled dark blue ink like discharge. I have had a mammogram with no findings. The doctors can't explain it.
I would think that this persistent nipple discharge should be evaluated by a Breast Specialist.I don't think that it has anything to do with breast cancer but rather a benign breast condition,since it's happening bilaterally.Avoid squeezing your nipples,because you are actually making the discharge persist.
From what you describe it sounds like Mammary Duct Ectasia Symptoms, that may be caused by infection or inflammation of a milk ducts in the breast, near the nipple, causing green,blue brown or black discharge, that may also including a breast lump under the nipple.
This problem can be treated with antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications or even surgery to remove the abnormal duct.
I hope you'll get this problem resolved soon,once you consult a Breast Specialist and start treatment that he/she recommends.
All the best to you....
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.