Breast Cancer Forum

Breast Calcifications

I am 37 years old.  My family has a history of Breast Cancer.  I had my baseline mamogram at 35. Calcifications were found in my right breast. I had a needle biopsy, came back fine. Had re-check 6 mos. later, more calcifications, needle biopsy, came back fine. Another 6 mos. re-check & bi-lateral, more calcifications in right breast. Surgical biopsy, came back fine. I am scheduled for my next 6 mos. re-check this week.What else can I ask my doctor to do...should I be getting other tests??? I cannot keep having surgery on my breast, but the calcifications keep coming back. I have never had a "normal" mamogram.  Any suggestions???
Dear Deb95NJ:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
I am not a medical professional, but also have recurring calcifications. This last time they recurred after only 6 months. The surgeon wanted to do another stereotactic biopsy but his second recommendation was to have a 3 month follow-up mammogram. I chose the 3 month follow-up this time but must admit it hasn't been easy to wait. One lady at this site will tell you she had 7 benign biopsies, and the 8th was cancer, so this is definately something we need to follow-up on. We also know that calcifications are very hard to see and grade. (I assume yours is a Birad 4?) Radiologists more experienced with calcifications, such as those at breast centers, may be better able to determine if you really do need a biopsy. There aren't any breast centers close to me, so I'm very unpatiently waiting. You should get your question answered professionally on Monday.
Calcifications are normally found in breast tissue ...... it's how they appear that makes the difference. In clusters they definitely need to be investigated further. I too and wondering what BIRAD score was assigned to your exams.
I'm so glad I found this forum.

I've had mammograms every 6 months from 2003-2004.  The last one was May 2004 and the calcification didn't appear to be a threat.  Thinking everything is fine I skipped my mammos for the last 2 years.  I just turned 47 and thought it was prudent to get checked again.  So I did last Friday.  I received a call this past Monday that they wanted additional films of my left breast.  I went yesterday and was told/shown that I have 2 distinct round clusters that have grown.  The radiologist called them suspicious and advised me that I need a surgical biopsy due to the fact that one cluster is immediately behind the bottom of my nipple.  The other is about 2 inches above the nipple.

Needless to say I had a good crying spell last night and have been researching it since.  I'm quite scared.  According to what I read, I believe my film BIRAD is a catagory 4.

Deb95NJ - What a nightmare for you!
Will this be your first biopsy? These posts are helpful for me also, to see the importance of keeping a close watch on my calcifications. I hope all goes well. When are you scheduled?
I'm waiting for my family Doc to call me, discuss it and refer me to a breast surgeon.  I should know next week.  If I can go 2 yrs I can wait a week.  Gives me time to think about things.  
Good thing I put my assets in a trust in May.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.