Breast Cancer Community

Breast Cancer Recurrence

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 14 years ago  (microcapillary intraductal carcinoma in association with a mucocele like lesion).  I had a lumpectomy and radiation.  This week I was diagnosed (in the same breast) with "infiltrating ductal carcinoma. Nottingham histologic grade 3.  Modified black's nuclear grade 3.  Carcinoma in situ component present, comedo type, modified black's nuclear grade 3.  No lymphatic/vascular invasion identified."  

Would this be considered a new cancer or a recurrence?   What is the prognosis for this type and grade of cancer given that it's in the same breast and I am no longer eligible for radiation therapy.  I'm most concerned about saving my life - not my breast.  However, I'd like to learn as much as I can to determine whether mastectomy is the preferable option over another lumpectomy, how much time I would have if I opted NOT to have chemo and just what lifespan I might expect with or without chemo.  I'm hoping for a very candid reply.  Thank you.  
Few questions are still unanswered when reading your medical history - do you have a family history of cancer? Do you have any of the associated risk factors of breast cancer e.g oral contraceptive use or hormonal replacement therapy, obesity etc? Well as far as recurrence of breast cancer is concerned it is usually maximum in the first 2 -3 yrs and then the rate of recurrence falls with the number of years. Most likely in your case it is a new cancer. The good thing is that as you describe it is a carcinoma in situ and it has not infiltrated the lymphatics or vascular channels. What you need to do is discuss with your surgeon what would be the best option in your case. You should go ahead with a mastectomy if he suggests it. Also you need to know that you dont have to worry about this being life threatening as the 5 year survival rates for a non metastasizing breast cancer are from 70 -80%. Goodluck.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.