Breast Cancer Forum

Breast Cancer

Suina

11/04/07
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer 14 years ago  (microcapillary intraductal carcinoma in association with a mucocele like lesion).  I had a lumpectomy and radiation.  This week I was diagnosed (in the same breast) with "infiltrating ductal carcinoma. Nottingham histologic grade 3.  Modified black's nuclear grade 3.  Carcinoma in situ component present, comedo type, modified black's nuclear grade 3.  No lymphatic/vascular invasion identified."  

Would this be considered a new cancer or a recurrence?   What is the prognosis for this type and grade of cancer given that it's in the same breast and I am no longer eligible for radiation therapy.  I'm most concerned about saving my life - not my breast.  However, I'd like to learn as much as I can to determine whether mastectomy is the preferable option over another lumpectomy, how much time I would have if I opted NOT to have chemo and just what lifespan I might expect with or without chemo.  I'm hoping for a very candid reply.  Thank you.  
Dear Suina:  Both new primary breast tumors and tumor recurrences can occur after breast conservation surgery.  Whether it is a new primary depends upon the histology (how similar to the original tumor under a microscope) and the location in the breast (is it close or distant to the original tumor).   In most cases, mastectomy would be recommended.  Treatment and prognosis would be based upon the histology, size of the tumor, hormone receptors, lymph node status, etc. Your doctor will be best equipped to discuss this as it pertains to your situation.  
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.