Breast Cancer Community

Breast Lump

I am a female, 42 years old. I have not had a mammogram in about 4 or 5 years. I have the slip to go in to the center and was waiting until after the holiday.

I should preface this by saying, I have lumpy breast so I do breast exams but I really tend to focus on that outer right quadrant that is so problematic and where the articles always state the most cancers are found.

Well, I have found a lump on my left breast just above my nipple at about the 12 o’clock mark. It’s fairly hard, NOT MOBILE and very round and symmetrical. I am so concerned because I, admittedly do not check this area very thoroughly. Having had some issues with ovarian cysts this past year--I had a few pelvic U/S and a colonoscopy to check pelvic pain. I missed the mammo and have been slacking in the breast department simply because I couldn’t handle the added stress. The irony is not lost on me.

So---I have no idea how long this thing has been there. What’s even more scaring me—I have been having some pain in my hands as well. I am so worried that not only have I neglected my breast health but that I have some far advanced and spreading cancer.

I went to my MD yesterday to get the slip switched from routine to diagnostic. He felt the lump and said skip the mammogram and go directly to the surgeon. He didn't seemed concerned but said he was a fanatic and if it were his wife he'd have it removed. He said if it is palpable there is no reason for a mammo at 42. I forget the term he used, (because I was in such shock) but he said he felt it was benign but if it were something it was small (1 cm). The only thing I read that it could be is a fibroadenoma but those seem to happen in younger women.

So, I do go to the surgeon tomorrow.

Second question, when I noticed the pain in my hand, it was about six months ago. If I had a cancer this far gone – wouldn’t I be worse by now? I guess I am just looking for something positive to hang my hat on because I am sure I am a goner. Thx.
I think you are jumping to conclusions by presuming that you have breast cancer and that it has spread.No one can be sure of anything unless a biopsy of some king is performed.
Women who are over 40 that have a solid lump in their breasts,it is usually recommended to have it removed even if the lump is benign.
Your breast surgeon will discuss with you whether more tests are needed,like a mammogram/Ultrasound etc...He/she will also advise you if it's a better option to remove the lump and skip the biopsy.
I am sure your surgeon will be able to guide you in the right direction and recommend what's best for your particular situation.
The pain you have in your hands could be something completely unrelated to the lump you detected in your breast.
I wish I could allay your fears and tell you that you have nothing to worry about...We all do when we don't know what's going on,but I really hope that things will turn up just fine.
Please keep us posted and let us know how things are proceeding...In the meantime I wish you all the best and BENIGN findings.
Good luck!
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.