Breast Cancer Forum

Breast Lump

In 4/2006, I had a core biopsy done in my right breast. This is the 3rd solid mass that has been diagnosed in my right breast over the last 2 years. 2 have been removed & found to be benign. The results of the core biopsy indicated fibrocystic changes, chronic mastitis, & microcalcifications. It was recommend that I have a follow-up mammogram of my breast 6 mos later. I have put all this aside, but now that the time is nearing, would like to make sure I ask the proper questions.  My main concerns are the chronic mastitis (I am not breast feeding. The one son that I did is now 20 & I only breast feed him about 2 months.)and the microcalcifications. My doc has stated that my breast are very densed & that they feel like cobblestones. I am the one that has found all lumps. He has had trouble finding them. They only show up on an ultrasound. I have scheduled for a digital mam. My left breast has an inverted nipple. In 2003 the ultrasound results stated there is a prominence of the ductal structures behind the nipple. There are some scattered, tiny cysts in the periareolar area around the nipple. No discrete solid or cystic mass, area of the architectural distortion or abnormal ascoustical shawdowing in the directly retroareolar area. An isoechic solid cannot be excluded. In 2005 I found a lump in my left breast. It demonstrated a simple cyst that measured 3.4x3.3x3.0mm. Finding is considered benign. In 2006, the cyst measured 4.3x4.0x4.1mm. Should i also be concerned about my left breast. My doctor seems to be focusing only on my right breast. Any suggestion would be appreciated
Dear deniseto:  Breast mastitis is an infection that is most common in women who are breast-feeding.  However, mastitis can occur in any woman at any time.  Mastitis usually refers to a benign (non-cancerous) condition that usually presents as red, hot, painful or inflamed breasts and can occur with other flui-like symptoms such as headache, nausea, fever or chills.  This type of mastitis can usually be successfully treated with antibiotics. The description of chronic mastitis on the biopsy may be related to chronic infection or any type of chronic inflammation occuring in the breast.

Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
A related discussion, what is an acute and chronic mastitis was started.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.