Breast Cancer Forum

Breast Pain

I am 30 and have been having pain in both breast for a month. I went to the Dr and he did an exam and told me that I need to have an ultrasound done, which I had done last night. He also told me that he thought that there maybe something going on with my lympnodes (sp) (because it was extremely painful when he pushed on them) or that I had an infection. He never did prescribe me any meds for the infection I might or might not have.
The ultrasound showed a cyst in my left breast but they said it looked ok. I guess my question is...is it possible that having a cyst in one breast would cause pain in both? And why wouldn't a Dr prescribe medication if he thought there was an infection going on?
Dear Sweet_:  It is not uncommon for young women to have breast pain, particularly in the week or so prior to the menstrual cycle.  The presence of a cyst can also contribute to breast pain - although this is usually in the breast in which there is a cyst.  We cannot speculate on whether or not there is an infection or whether or not antibiotics should be prescribed.  You might discuss this question with your doctor.  If the pain persists without a satisfactory explanation, you might want to seek an opinion from a medical breast specialist.  These experts usually are affiliated with large teaching medical centers.  
Yes I am asking for a referral at my next appointment, because the only breast pain I have while being premenstral is sensitivity to touch...which is totally different to the pain I have been having and I have had my period already so I know that the pain isn't due to that. Thanks for your response!
Hi, I just read your post and can feel your concern. I too suffered from extremely agonizingly painful breasts. I almsot cried every time my car hit a bump in the road. I was told by some doctors I was too fat, needed a breast reduction, hormones were out of wack etc. I had the good fortune to be seen by a female doctor with fairly large breasts also and she immediately knew what my problem was. She said cut out ALL caffeine in any form and take 800-1000 mg of vitamin E everyday and in 2 days my pain was gone. Period. I thought it was a coincidence and so after about a month I resorted to my old habits of butterfingers and diet pepsi and coffee morning noon and night and within 2 days the pain was back. I now drink only decaf, no caffeinated colas, no chocolate etc. The only time my pain comes back is when I get used to it being gone and break down and have a candy bar or too many cups of coffee (even decaf has a wee bit in it)
Most doctors don't even discuss the caffeine thing with you but I've told other friends and they've tried and no more feeling like their breast were going to explode! It's worth a try! Sue
Another thing you can try for breast pain in Evening of Primrose Oil. It is in a capsule form available at any vitamin store and inexpensive. This helped me tremendously with unexplained breast pain.

Good Luck
Thanks for the replies! I talked with my stepmom yesterday (she's a nurse) and she told me the same thing about caffine. I don't drink but maybe 1 diet pepsi a day anything after that is caffine free (no coffee..yuck!:)) I will try the vitamin E though!
From whatb you are explaining and for your info, breast pain of that nature is normally related to dislocated and / or pinched nerves in the back(on each side of the spine).   It means that they have to be resetted.

I know as I am a Special Massage Therapist and if you wish to learn more about me and my practice, view my web site at: " http://ca.geocities.com/painlessjoe/ ".

Good Luck
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.