Breast Cancer Forum

Breast pains

I have had a slight pain in my left breast for about a year now.  It sometimes occurs in my right breast also, but more in the left breast.
It tends to be an achy dull pain that works it's way up to the nipple area.

I've been to the doctor a few times now and let the doctor know.  He said that he couldn't find any bumps and I'm kind of young to have breast cancer.  I'm 25, and had one child.  My son is three years old, and I only breast feed him for two weeks.  I can still squeeze out about 4 drips of milk colored fluid from each breast, like the milk is still there. I don't squeeze them all the time, but when I do, it's there.

I don't know what's going on.  I also had breast implants put in four years ago, do you think the implants could be causing pain?

I just get so worried about breast cancer, I don't want to die young and I have a baby to raise.  I would like to be able to rule out breast cancer, but I can't really get a straight answer what this breast pain is from.

Please help.
Jessica
Dear Jessica, Breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.

Breast pain is evaluated based on the history of the pain you would give to the health care professional, as well as a physical examination.  The need for further testing would be determined based on the above findings.  Some recommendations for treatment of breast pain involve simple comfort measures such as a supportive or exercise bra, or application of warm or cold packs.  Caffeine avoidance, limit salt intake and reduction of dietary fat may also help.  
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.