Breast Cancer Community

Burning Sensation

I have been having severe breast tenderness in both breasts for about a month now - besides the normal breast tenderness before menstrual cycle. It causes daily pain while walking or driving, or even just moving my upper body. When I put my bra on in the morning the tenderness gets better with the support, and when I take my bra off at night it causes so much pain that my breathes come out in spurts and I often find myself laying down on my bed just to catch my breath. Just in the past couple days this tenderness has been accompanied by a horribly painful burning sensation in my left breast just below my armpit on the innermost portion of my breast towards my arm pit. I am hesitant to call my doctor and schedule and appointment for a mammogram, because I am only 20 years old. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this!?
Hi there.

At your age, the most common reason for this is still hormonal changes.  For some women, the breasts tissues react differently to hormones causing intensified pain that can persist throughout the menstrual cycle.  Other possible causes would include musculoskeletal strain which can be due to stress.  However, I would suggest that you have your breasts examined professionally by your physician, and possibly have a mammogram if your doctor deems it necessary.

Regards and God bless.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.