Breast Cancer Forum

Calcification and breast cancer risk

My recent mammogram indicates:A group of few newly developed calcifications is seen in the lower outer quadrant of the left breast which probably represent adenosic calcifications
However a follow up mammogram is recommended after 6 months to ensure stability
No spiculated lesions,vascular or skin changes are demonstrated.

I am very worried: what are my risks of having breast cancer and in case I have some malignancy  do you think I am still at a very early stage
Dear lana rana: Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
I also have microcalcifications.  The showed up on my Mammo in Dec/04, adn I had a biopsy in Jan/05.  No canserous cells were found.  In my Mammo last week July/06, additional calcifications have shown up in the same general area.  Teh surgeon is suggesting another biopsy. I am concerned as to whether I wil have to go thru this every 12 to 18 months.  If I ccontinue to develope additional calicifications should they be biopsyed every time?  Is it common for calcifications to continue to develope, is there anyting one can do to reduce the the production of calcifications.
What did the radiologist reading your mammo rate it?  They rate abnormalities from Rad1 to Rad5, with Rad5 being highly suspicious.  Mine was a Rad4 for microcalcifications because the radilogist could not determine whether they appeared to be benign or malignant.
I have lots of microcalcifications and they just now biopsied the first one because it formed a cluster.  They say most are fine and a fact of life and lead to nothing.  If your Dr. is always prone to jump to a biopsy you might try a second opinion.  You should only get a biopsy when they really need more information.  In may case the first biopsy unfortunately proved out to be cancer.  My lumpectomy is tomorrow.  Hope you turn out fine.
Susan, like you I have new calcifications appearing at a regular rate. I've had 2 biopsies (benign) and my surgeon wants me to have a 3rd. This time I opted for coming back in 3 months for another mammogram to see if there are changes. I can't see having a biopsy every 6 months! I've had 4 different radiologists reading my results (at different times)and I've been to 2 different surgeons over the years and they have all agreed on the biopsies. Whats a woman to do? My birad is 4. One thing I have learned is to ask for the radiologists report so I can be better informed.
Thanks ladies. It realy helps to get your thoughts.  I never knew to ask for the Rad number.
I'm so glad I found this site.  I have just been diagnosed with early stage Breast Cancer, and will see the surgeon for the first time tomorrow.  I was just wondering what questions to ask the surgeon, and this one e-mail I just read suggested asking what the Mammo Rad # was rated, I never would have know what to ask and am very grateful for this information.  I too was told that there is a cluster of microcalsafications, and after three mammograms had a Sterotactic Core Biopsy which came back Malignant.  Any more advice as to what questions to ask would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you,
D J
I don't know if people scroll down this far to read posts. If you want an answer you might want to post farther up where the conversation is still active. (Nobody has posted down this far for quite a while.) I did read on one post that if you have breast cancer you should get, "Breast Cancer For Dummies" because it explains everything, and I also think someone suggested a breast book by Susan Love (but I could have that name wrong). I'm not much help for what questions to ask once you know you have cancer (so far all my biopsies have been benign). Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.
Hi DJ - If you Google 'birads' you will find sites that define the different stages. In fact, google all things you're curious about in relation to breast cancer. You'll be amazed at the education you receive. Also, you can do searches on this site and read previous emails that share your same concerns. Good luck!
I have been feeling this burning pain ever since my surgery everyone told me it's normal due to surgery, It's like when you are nursing, which I nursed my four children and your milk is coming in you feel this sensation of burning until you feed your child, that is what  my breast feels like everyday, I can't explain it any other way and it feels hot.
What type of surgery did you have and how long ago? After I had a recent biopsy, I developed a hematoma which created the same symptoms you're having...in fact I discribed it to a friend as 'the feeling when your milk comes in'. The symptoms lasted for 3-4 days (the hematoma takes weeks to go away). I iced the first 2 days and used hot compresses the remaining days. If your 'hot' symptoms becomes red and/or with fever, call your doctor.
I had my surgery 1 year ago, with non-stop burning along with pain.  Everyone I talked to told me that's normal due to having a biopsy done, I had 2 cysts removed which were benign. Now I have Clusters of Microcalification which is worrying me.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.