Can DCIS Change in a matter of months

I am a 48 year old woman.  In late July I was diagnosed with DCIS the doctor informed me that it was a "pre-cancer" and suggested a lumpectomy with radiation.  This was not seen on a mammogram, but I presented with a nipple discharge.  I had actually had a milky like discharge for about a year and a half and the doctors did not seemed too concerned being that I was peri-menopausal.  It turned turned into a bloody discharge in July and that is when they did a biopsy.  The biopsy came back DCIS low-med grade micropapillary cribriform ER PR -.  The doctor said there was no hurry to do the lumpectomy so we waited until August.  After the first lumpectomy  the doctor called me into his office to say that he did not get all of the dcis.  That he had taken sections all around and that the dcis was in two more locations.  In the meantime, I was having additional medical problems requiring several cat scans.  One night my breast started burning and the burning seemed to go over my shoulder and down my arm and up my neck.  I was terrified that the radiation from the cat scans had made my dcis grow out of control.  I spoke to my surgeon and my oncologist and both told me that that was not possible that most likely my pain was from anxiety or from nerves that had been cut during surgery.  In October I went for the 2nd lumpectomy and every sample....... 5 or 6 of them had gone from low - med grade, to med grade micropapillary cribriform and comedo necrosis.  Did the cat scans effect the dcis or is it possible of a pathology  or sampling error.  There still is no invasion into the breast fatty tissue, however I do have a discomfort under my arm.  Of course now, the doctor says that I must have a mastectomy with SNB.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Mine was actually two weeks ago on Monday, I had one drain and it was taken out on the Friday after surgery.  I don't have any pain in my arm, but on my side under my arm I have pain as well as sometimes on the top part of my chest.  When it hurts I just ice it and take a little tylenol or Advil.  They actually started expansion at the time of surgery and I will go for my first in office expansion on the 4th, then once a week for several weeks, as long as I can tolerate being done that quickly.  I couldn't look at my scar for a week, but know I'm okay.  I am considering it a work in progress.  I will have the other breast augmented when the expander is removed.  I also had an mri.  My DCIS never showed on a mammo.  I also had the sentinel node removed.  That is amazing how they can do that.  I was thinking that the doctor was going to cut me under my arm, but he was able to retrieve it from the mastectomy site.  I hope you have a speedy recovery.  I know just having a clean pathology report was a huge relief at least it was for me.
Helpful - 0
Two weeks ago tuesday I had a masectomy with the tissue expancer put it. I still have both my drains in, I think the one will come out tues, but the other one is still draining, I have the most pain in my arm, they did take the sental node out, my pathology report came back good, the DCIS was still contained withing the mikl ducts, two diff. spots. I felt great for the first week or so but now my arm hurts andsometimes the top part of my chest feels like a rock, Im hoping this is just the expander, the doctor was going to start it at a B cup, I see him on Tues, so I amjust gonna wait to see what he says. To those out there questioning testing, I had an MRI done to show the exact areas with the disease.
Helpful - 0
I am not a  doctor, however my experience is that with a mastectomy, with pure dcis, as long as your margins and lymph nodes are clear, you will not have to have any further treatment unless your doctor wants to put you on tomoxifan as a prolifalactic.  I had a single mastectomy and my margins and lymph nodes are clear.  I am having a tissue expander reconstruction done. My recovery has been remarkable.  I went home the day after surgery and have used nothing for pain except tylenol.  You may want to have a recliner to sleep in for a week or so, getting in and out of bed was a pain.   I hope your recovery is as speedy as mine was.  
Helpful - 0
DCIS (non invasive)stage 1, grade between 2/3....  Will be having a double mastectomy in early Dec along with reconstruction at the time of surgery.   My question is will I have  to have radiation and is there different types of radiation?
Helpful - 0
The best way to find out if you have a problem is to have a breast mri.  Even though none of my dcis showed up on a mammo it lit up the mri.  My oncologist said that as soon as I started having the sticky discharge that I should have had one.  And yes, I do have a feeling of a lump under my arm.  Good luck, but get that mri.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I'm curious, did you have any other symptoms other than nipple discharge? Were your glands under your arm swollen? Did you have any aches in your breast?  I am 47 and had a mammogram showing clustered microcalcifications but along with that  I have had clear/sticky discharge from my left nipple for a little more than a year; and about 1 month before the mammogram, it turned brownish. I have noncyclical (sp?) pain in the breast and I have a swollen lymph node under my armpit on the same side of the other symptoms. I had a stereotactic biopsy which missed the microcalcifications and scheduled for another on 21 Nov. I am trying to find someone that may have symptoms such as mine that came out with a benign finding. I just noticed about 6 weeks ago that I also have 2 lumps that are not smooth on the opposite breast  (may be cysts). I know as next week approaches, my anxiety level will be extremely high.
Helpful - 0
The exams you had ... CT scans, etc. would have no effect on the DCIS. Usually after Lumpectomy, Radiation is often recommended in cases such as yours ... Abnormalities within the breast tissue can change in a period of months and often do. If you have additional questions concerning your possible mastectomy don't hesitate to return to the Forum and ask, ask, ask.  Regards ....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Community

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.