Avatar universal

Chest wall and breast pain

Hi there,
I'm a 23-year-old female, healthy weight. A few months ago I started having pain in my chest wall area, between and also on the upper edges of my breasts. It sometimes aches on its own and is also tender when I press. The tenderness comes and goes. I got a chest X-ray that showed nothing, and my doc said she thought it was probably inflammation of the cartilage in my chest. Since then I've also started having some mild breast pain, more often in my right breast. It's more burning and tight than sharp, and will sometimes be tender to the touch. It's usually in one spot but the spot isn't always quite the same each time. Occasionally I'll also feel it on the left side, but it's mostly the right. I'll have tenderness in my right armpit too, and on occasion in the left as well. I've felt for lumps and don't feel anything out of the ordinary. I also don't see much correlation to my period--the pain comes and goes pretty consistently throughout each month. Should I be concerned? I tend to over worry, and my concern is that because I'm so young, the doc might not take my worries seriously and might miss something.

I've also had lower right rib and back pain for 8 months that I had checked twice. Got ultrasounds, blood and urine tests, and all came back negative for my organ functions. I haven't yet had a CT scan or anything like that, and I am paranoid it's a tumor growing there. Is this a legitimate concern? Is it possible the chest/breast and right side pain are related? I may just be overworrying but suggestions would be helpful. My doc's latest suggestion was to see a GI (I also have minor stomach problems).


Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
587083 tn?1327123862
Pain in the breast could be due to many benign causes...Could be fibrocystic condition,a pinched nerve,a pulled muscle, Costochondritis,  (inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone) including an improper posture,etc...
As you can see there are so many factors that cause the pain you are describing.We can never know for sure what it could be ,when symptoms are described over the internet.
Although breast pain is rarely associated with breast cancer, I would advise you to have your breasts examined preferably by a Breast Specialist so that your condition can be evaluated by proceeding with further testing ,if necessary.
Wishing you all the best...
Discussion is closed
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.
Breast Cancer Community Resources