Hi! I have a history of 5 prior breast biopsies for fibroadenomas and a sclerosing adenosis (4 open, 1 core needle). I am 43 years old, and my last biopsy was about 4 1/2 years ago. I had my annual mammogram at the end of March, and was called back the next day, had the magnified repeat mammogram the day after that. It confirmed an area of clustered pleomorphic microcalcifications that were definitely not there the year before. The radiologist suggested a core needle biopsy, but given my prior history, he suggested that I speak w/my surgeon to discuss whether or not an open biopsy might be the more appropriate course of action. Unfortunately, my surgeon is out of the office for now, having surgery of her own on her elbow. The earliest appointment that I could get was April 21. I phoned the mammography center back, and a radiologist there said that waiting a month would not alter the course of events, even if it is cancer. So, for now I wait. Since my last mammogram, I had two trials of IVF that resulted in early miscarriages, so I have had supplemental estrogen and progesterone since that time. That makes me a little more nervous than I normally would be. I have had scattered microcalcifications in the past, but not clustered. The radiologist does not feel that this is due to a fibroadenoma. He said to the question of "how serious is this", that this is fairly serious. I am not panicked, and I understand that the majority of these situations prove to be benign. However, the waiting is beginning to get to me. We are in the process of selling a house and buying a new one, I just got our taxes completed, and I am beginning to feel the stress of the wait a little more. Keeping busy is not helping as much as I would like! I do want to stay with my previous surgeon, so changing to a different doctor just to speed things up is not really a viable option at this time. I guess that I'm just looking for some support to help get me through the next 8 days! Personal stories, benign and cancer diagnosis, are all appreciated. I want to be prepared for anything. We don't have a biopsy appointment set as yet, but I'm thinking the beginning of May. Thanks!
Your appointment is next week and I can't imagine that the wait for a biopsy would be more than 2 - 3 weeks longer. This is NOT a long wait; in fact it's rather short in my estimation. I think you are stressing yourself out and not necessarily due to the breast issue as it seems you have a lot of things going on at the present time. If you have such confidence in your Surgeon I certainly wouldn't change now and if you did the wait might well be a lot longer. Try to relax and take things one at a time as stress NEVER helped any situation. Take care ....
Thanks for the post! You are right, the appointment is just next week. However, I had my mammogram at the end of March, so the wait until I even see the surgeon will be a month before it is all said and done. However, I do not want to see another surgeon, so that's fine with me. I know that I'm ancy because of the other stressors in my life right now, and all of that will conveniently wrap up around the same time. Whew! Busy month! Just needed to vent a bit.
Just want to add my good wishes for you! We have similar experiences
because I've had biopsies of five areas in the past seven years. The last one in October last year was for clustered microcalcifications in two areas. I had fibroadenomas, sclerosing adenosis, radial scar, proliferative fibrocystic changes and finally, LCIS. I understand completely how stressful it is, but please try to stay positive, keep yourself busy (that doesn't seem to be a problem right now with all you have going on!) pamper yourself a little and rely on support from friends and family. I would stay with the doctor I have the most confidence in, too--that is so important. This forum has wonderful women who will be happy to support you through the stressful issues,too---I've found great information and comfort from them over time.
Hoping for an easy biopsy and benign results and sending you a big hug ( ),
Thank you so much for the note! You are right, we could almost be twins with our history! I also have proliferative fibrocystic changes on biopsy. I had so many lumps and bumps at one point in time that the radiologis just suggested that I have an ultrasound survey, where they went over every inch of each breast, mapping out all of the nodules and such. Tedious, but well worth it. So, you were diagnosed with the LCIS by the clustered microcalcs last October? It's a good thing that we have these regular mammograms, isn't it? As my radiologist said, they weren't there last year and they're there now. So, that made me happy that I kept the appointment. Thanks for the comforting words. I definitely know that I'm in good company here. I look forward to getting to know others better, hearing their stories. and hopefully being able to share a benign result with you guys next month!
Just an update...my biopsy did end up showing DCIS, type comedo. So, for various reasons, my surgeon is suggesting a bilateral mastectomy. I will probably have that done at the end of the summer some time. Thanks for everyone's well wishes and support!
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.