Breast Cancer Forum

Clustered Microcalcification

I'm very new at this, on July 26th I had a mammogram & was called back for a magnified mommogram. I have been called and told I need to see the surgeon on Aug. 8th to schedule a biopsy. My report read, Clustered Microcalcification of the left breast at 1:00 outer BIRAD-4. So I'm in panic mode, I live in a very Rural area, I'm 43 this is my second mammogram. I'm scared to death, not sure what to expect or what the statistics are. I have had no symtoms until I had the magnified test now my breast is sore and has a burning sensation. Is this normal??
I have very small breast, what should I expect in the up coming weeks. I need help, I'm still trying to understand all of this. Now every ache & pain I feel through out my body I panic. There is no history of breast cancer in my family. There isn't really anyone to talk to here, and the doctors office people don't seem to be the compassionate type of people. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Dear mel43:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a "cluster" of microcalcifications may increase concern that there may be an underlying tumor.   A BIRAD 4 category means that there is a suspicious abnormality. Most category 4 abnormalities are benign but may require biopsy since this category can be malignant in 25-50% of cases.  Many women have sore breasts after a mammogram.  The discomfort you are having does is not an indication whether this is a benign or malignant abnormality.
First of all, please relax yourself.  I know it is easier said than done, but do whatever it takes to calm down.

My surgeon told me that 15% of clustered microcalcifications prove to be malignant, so 85% of the time, they are benign. Unfortunately, mine proved to be cancer.  DEFINITELY HAVE A BIOPSY.  Don't ingore a BRAD4.  The earlier you get it, the better the prognosis.  GOOD LUCK.
Thanks for your encouragement, it helps. I think what has me so scared and nervous is there has been 3 years between my mammagrams, reason being is a person is only so much time off work and I have a special needs child that I take to the doctor often and several miles from where we live. So now I'm so scared because I don't know how long it's been there. Has anyone had a burning sensation in their breast before? It's in the same place as this Cluster is at. I'm not sure what to think, I have so many thoughts and feelings going through my head right now.
Forgot something, I said my head is spinning right now. How does a person go about finding a "Breast Specialist"??? Because I haven't had any luck trying to find one. If I type in Breast Specialist I get Plastic surgery, breast enlargements. Not what I'm looking for. I'm scheduled to see a regular surgeon, I wasn't asked I was told when my appointment was.
It's always scary to be told you need a biopsy. I have had 2 biopsies for microcalcifications that were benign. My understanding is there are no outward signs (such as burning) for calcifications but I'm certainly no expert. I think if you do a search for Breast Specialist cancer you may get the info you want. That doesn't mean you have cancer, it just narrows the search. Also, remember a birad of 4 means they don't know if it is cancer or not, and the odds are strongly in your favor that it is not cancer. But, the only way you'll find out is to have a biopsy. Also, when my doctor called me she automatically set me up to see a surgeon, also. For calcifications they often recommend a stereotactic biopsy which is less invasive. There's a lot of info on the web on the various biopsies. I had one stereotactic biopsy and 5 years before that had a needle localized (or directed) biopsy for calcifications. Both of these biopsies take a day away from work but it's worth it and really not all that bad.
To clarify my response, Breast Cancer Specialist would be a good way to search to find a specialist. There's lots of info on microcalcifications on the web also. That might answer your questions on burning and such.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.