Breast Cancer Community

DCIS & Weight Loss Surgury

Recently diagnosed with high-grade DCIS without comedonecrosis.  Prior to the diagnosis, I had already scheduled a bariatric by-pass surgery.   After my biopsy my radiologist stated that since I had multiple locations of microcalcifications, I would definitely require a mascetomy.

Articles on-line indicate that a change in dietary habits will increase not only my percentage of non-recurrance, but may also prevent issues with other breast.  While some might think the mascetomy the most important issue at this time, both are extremely important to my mental health.  Additionally, research shows that I cannot have reconstruction surgery at my present weight.

Question:  Can I have both surgeries at the same time?  Are there any negatives to multiple surgeries?

I am a 47 year old, black female, approx. 290 lbs.  History of breast cancer in family:  mother (died of breast cancer at age of 63), aunt breast cancer at age of 48.

Besides the issue of cancer and weight, fairly good health.

Thanks.
Hi - difficult decision for you.   If it were me I would get the mastectomy over with sooner than later, as there is a chance the DCIS could turn into invasive, depending on how aggressive the cancer is. Cancer is life threatening at any stage, whereas obesity is not, in the short term. Once you get over the mastectomy, then you can schedule the bariatric by-pass surgery.

I am not an expert on alternative dietary regimes to prevent a bc recurrence, and each individual has the right to make their own decisions whether to go the alternative way, or have tried and tested allopathic treatment, e.g. chemo, radiotherapy and hormone treatment.  I chose allopathic medicine, and am on Arimidex to prevent a bc recurrence (I had an invasive tumour, lymph node involvement as well as DCIS, so wanted to do whatever my surgeon and Oncologist suggested.)  Your diagnosis/prognosis is very good compared to a lot of people dx with bc, and you probably will not need chemo or radiotherapy. Certainly, reducing your weight will help somewhat, as will a good healthy diet with 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, oily fish, and only 2 or 3 portions of red meat a week. I eat more chicken and fish since my diagnosis and rarely eat red meat. A low fat diet is recommended for the vast majority of people, with or without cancer.

Perhaps you can talk to your bc surgeon as to the risks involved in delaying the mastectomy for his expert opinion. We are not experts on this forum, just people who have had bc, or had relatives/friends with it, and can therefore only give you the benefit of our on experience - and some cyber hugs!

Hope you get the medical advice you need, and do well.
Liz.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.