Breast Cancer Community

Femara /trigger fingers anything new?

I'm wondering if there is anything new regarding the relationship between Femara and trigger fingers and arthritis of the hands?  I've read some older posts but don't see anything current.  I have been taking Femara since Dec 2009 and started having pain in my hands and trigger fingers two months ago (Feb, 2011)  I had injections for the trigger fingers which seem to help and then not.  The changes are making me crazy.  I have an appt with another hand doc but am worried he will want to operate and it might be safe to stop the Femara.  Any ideas out there?
thanks.
Hi, i really do not think anything has changed about the Femara, or any of these ;difficult, sometimes even impossible drugs to take)

I had very similar problems and they did not happen immediately after starting Femara, or a similar drug. may even get better.

I had surgery for the trigger finger. This was maybe 3 years ago and just came back in the same hand, It's at this point not as bad as before, and neither am I taking any meds, like Femara, any longer, or have been taking any like such since the 'hand problem'.

I have read on a very good web site, (I forgot the name), where many patients like us share the side effects they are having, and also if those led to quitting the medication or not.

All I really remember is that a huge percentage of commenters had exactly, or developed exactly, the same problems, as well as a lot of other problems. (especially the trigger finger thing)

Katrin
I've got trigger fingers in both hands. I used to be on Tamoxifen and then was on Aromasin. I'm not on either anymore and got trigger fingers several months after I stopped treatments. My hands also feel arthritic but I've not had them checked for that recently.

Fun fun fun :)

Best wishes
oh.. one more thing

A Gal I used to work with also got trigger fingers around the same time I did and she wasn't on any of those medications.

I wonder if it's from menopause........ extreme lack of estrogen
Thanks for you comments.  I spoke with a woman who remains on Femara but takes pain meds that help her hands.  I see my oncologist on Friday and will see what he suggests.
I was on Tamoxifen for five years and have been on Femara for one year.  I stopped a little over a month ago because the pain throughout my body was unacceptable.  In this month since stopping, I've developed terrible hand pain--four trigger fingers, overall pain in my palms and fingers, and now little bumps on the inside of both thumbs.  I've never had problems with my hands before.  I'm 59 and do have arthritis in my knees and lots of pain all over since being on these meds, but the hand pain is particularly disturbing because it came on so suddenly and is very severe.  When I wake up in the morning, my hands are like claws.  Whatever protection I'm getting from Femara is definitely not worth another four years of crippling pain.

Does anyone have any idea if these side effects are permanent, and if not, how long before they begin to subside?
Hi and welcome to our community!

Here is some information regarding a medication that might help. (Sorry!--your screen name tells me that's not what you wanted to hear.) But you might want to discuss it with your doctor as a last-ditch effort before giving up on your AI.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A drug commonly used to treat depression and anxiety disorder was effective at reducing joint and muscle pain associated with a breast cancer treatment, according to a study from the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The women in the study were taking aromatase inhibitors, a type of drug designed to block the production of estrogen, which fuels some breast cancers. About half of women taking these drugs experience aches and pains in their joints and muscles that cannot be adequately relieved by over-the-counter painkillers. Up to 20 percent of these women will stop taking an aromatase inhibitor because of this pain.

"Since women typically take these drugs for five years, it is important that the side effects not interfere too much with their quality of life, or they will be less likely to continue taking the medicine, which may lead to a greater chance of their breast cancer returning," says study author N. Lynn Henry, M.D., Ph.D., assistant professor of internal medicine at the U-M Medical School.

The study looked at the drug duloxetine, or Cymbalta, which is used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder. It's also been shown to work in multiple other chronic pain conditions, such as fibromyalgia and, more recently, osteoarthritis. It is believed to decrease pain through its actions in the central nervous system.

Of 29 patients evaluated, nearly three-quarters reported that their pain had decreased by at least 30 percent. On average, after eight weeks of treatment, pain scores declined 61 percent. Only one in five patients stopped taking duloxetine because of side effects.

"Duloxetine appears to be effective at reducing the muscle and joint pain many women experience from aromatase inhibitors, with only mild additional side effects," Henry says.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.