Breast Cancer Forum

Femara

After I finished chemo and surgery, my med onc prescribed Femara for me.  I was expecting Tamoxifen, but he said that a recent, large study had shown the aromatase inhibitors were significantly more effective in preventing recurrence with estrogen receptor positive cancers, and that the clinic where he works had switched over from using Tamoxifen almost entirely.  However, when I looked up the study, I found that the drug used in it was Arimidex.  Are these two drugs so similar that we can extrapolate the same effect, or do you think I should ask to take the drug that was actually studied?
Dear Jo2:  These two drugs are very similar.  It is probably safe to extrapolate the same effect.  However, if you would feel better, you could request a switch.  Your prescription coverage may prefer one over the other.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.