Breast Cancer Forum

Fibroadenoma vs. fibromatosis

I had a core biopsy and was diagnosed with fibromatosis. I was told I would have to have a surgical biopsy to remove the lump. The results from the surgical biopsy suggested fibroadenoma. I had the core biopsy done at one place and the surgical removal done at another. My question is,"Is there a big difference in the two results,fibroadenoma vs. fibromatosis?"
Proposed Answer:  Fibromatosis of the breast, sometimes labeled as extra-abdominal desmoids, is a rare benign tumor that should be included in the differential diagnosis for breast cancer. It is usually indistinguishable from malignancy on ultrasound, mammography, and physical examination. Distinction is easily made by histologic findings under the microscope. This benign tumor does not metastasize, but is locally aggressive and tends to recur postoperatively, which accounts for considerable morbidity.  Fibroadenoma, on the other hand, is usually a discrete mass that feels different from cancer on examination and looks different from cancer on mammography.  It is a benign tumor that may grow rapidly and will often resolve on their own.  They are most common in women in their 20
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.