Breast Cancer Forum

Fibroadenoma

Hi there.  After having an ultrasound and mammogram I received the following report.  Mammogram normal.  Ultrasound shows small oval area 5mm x 7mm in diameter with diminished echogenicity.  Typical of small fibroadenoma but other possibilities cannot be excluded, so opinion of a breast surgeon would be worthwhile.  Are ultrasound's correct in diagnosing fibroadenomas or could it be something more sinister??  Thanks, I am freaking out a bit.
Dear Deni_B:  There is no imaging study that is perfect in terms of differentiating benign versus malignant findings.  Ultrasound is best at distinguishing solid versus cystic (fluid-filled) structures.  There are characteristics of fibroadenomas that differentiate them from malignant lesions.  Based on how this appears, a breast specialist may feel more or less certain as to what this finding might be and will make appropriate recommendations.  The only way to be 100% certain may be to biopsy.
Hi..A few weeks ago, I discovered a lump...I didn't do anything for 2 weeks, then called my dr...within a week, I was scheduled for an ultrasound...today.
My dr figured it was a fibroadenoma.  While doing the ultrasound (today), they found not 1 but 4 lumps plus a cyst. The ultrasound lady said that it 'looks' like fibroadenomas, but they will let me know in a week.
I know it's benign, but is it crazy for me to not want to be growing these things...I am very aware of the larger one...Then I hear about misdiagnosis...I'm 34..Why am I growing these things?  The waiting it driving me nuts..

A related discussion, breast biopsy was started.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.