Breast Cancer Forum

Hair regrowth after Chemo

I started my chemo in September and now that I'm finished, my hair is slowly starting to re-grow, however, my scalp is very pimply and itchy, even having a few whiteheads.  I'm not sure if this is due to in-grown hairs or what.  Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do?  I've applied Vitamin E to my scalp before bed, but was wondering if maybe this is making it worse.  Any help would be appreciated.
Dear DCarolR:  Without examination, it is not possible for us to speculate on the cause of the skin itchiness and pimples on your scalp.  It could be as simple as irritation from the new hair growth.  This is not uncommon when an area of hair is shaved and then begins to regrow.  In addition, the skin could be very dry.  If you think the vitamin E may be contributing, you might try avoiding it for a few days.  If it does not clear up, you might check with a dermatologist.
Hi I am a hair dresser, I would totally recomend using Nioxin cleanser and scalp therapy. It helps promote hair growth and for the vit.E It might be plugging your follices. Why may I ask are you putting vit. E on your scalp is that for the itcy scalp? However scalp therapy would help that alot. So find a hair salon closet to you and see if you can get some. It also may be itcy because its growing back also. Hope this helps
wmac
Thank you for the insight. I was told by a wig specialist that whatever lotion you use on your body, you could use on your head, so I tried Aveeno, which may have started the rash, and to combat the rash I tried vitamin E, recommended by a friend, which I was using on my surgery scar. I will look for the product immediately and hope it clears up. My hair is definitely trying to sprout.
I have heard of some ladies using head-n-shoulders. It helps with the dry skin. Hope this helps.
During chemo I washed my head with baby shampoo.  Afterwards I used Nioxin or Nizoral that I got at a beauty supply store.  My hair came in the same order it fell out.  It started to curl at 7-8 months of growth and continued to curl for about a year.  It had NEVER been curly.  Then it resumed to its natural texture and straightness.  For a while it looked like a perm growing out.  Now, after 3 years from when it started to fall out, the bottom layers are to my shoulders, and the top layers are to my chin, with frizzy curls at the ends.  I straighten it when they bug me, which is funny since I spent so many years messing with hot rollers and curling irons!  The loss of my hair was devastating--it had been halfway down my back and I was obsessed with its return.  Treatments and surgeries would have been so much more tolerable if I hadn't had to be bald.  I hope your hair follicles wake up quickly and it grows faster than 1/2 inch per month!  Congratulations on finishing chemo.  As more time goes by, you will pat yourself of the back for getting through it.
That is exactly what happened to me. I finished chemo April 28th 2006 and in June when the little tiny hairs first started coming in, same problem. I had little bumps everywhere. Except they are not whiteheads. They are just your hair pushing there way through those folicles. It is annoying and itchy. I actually thought when my hair first started coming back taht I was going to be hairy all over! My face had little hairs it never had before and my fingers and arms, it was weird. use a loofa in the shower and it will help. After a few more weeks of growth your hair will start to lye down like normal and the bumps will go away. Hang in there, your on the downhill side now! :)
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.