How are titanium markers removed from the breast?

I had a biopsy on one breast a year ago and a single titanium marker was inserted, which was supposed to be removed when I had a lumpectomy.  I never had the surgery and so the marker is still there.  I hear a lot of women with these markers (or titanium in the body in general) say they're find to leave in, but not every person's body is the same, and mine seems to be bothered by this marker.  When I go running or use my mini-trampoline the marker causes pinching and discomfort and I'm concerned about it continually aggravating by breast tissue.  I'd like to get it removed.  It was inserted quite simply with a tiny key-hole type (smaller actually) incision. 'm assuming it can be removed the same way with no need for 'surgery' as such.  Serious surgeries are done with keyhole procedures, so I would think simply removing a titanium breast marker can be removed by method it was inserted.  Could a doctor answer my question?

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello, thanks for the question. First, we're glad you don't have breast cancer. Starting with that, they do put the markers in to help radiologists know where the area of concern was. It's valuable as a marker for future reference to indicate where the biopsy was done and also so the area would not be confused with a new finding later.  It's very helpful for future diagnostics.  

It's very rare to feel it in any way. It's about the size of a sesame seed and so small it's place through a needle. They have great benefit. But no one wants you to be uncomfortable. Just because something is very rare does not mean it hasn't happened to you.  So, yes, talk to your doctor.  They will discuss the reasons why they want the marker to remain and you will weight that with the discomfort. It can be removed but your doctor will decide the best method.  We wish you the best.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Community

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.