Breast Cancer Community

Inflammatory Breast Cancer

I have found a small, but possibly growing, spot on the left areola, almost in the nipple.  It is very itchy, like a mesquito bite (that "ahhh feeling" when scratching is the same).  It has been there for a few months, so it is now obvious it is not an insect bite.  I also have a dark thick patch of skin, raised surface, approx 2 inches by ½ inches in size, on the underside of this same left breast.  I can't determine if it is similar to "orange peel".  The first cause of my concern:  the itchy spot on the areola crusts over and if the "scab" or crust is removed it is runny looking beneath it.  My second cause of concern:  my first cousin on my father's side of the family, same age as me, went through a terrifying bout of Inflammatory Breast Cancer two years ago.  I am very healthy and tend to brush aside many things and have been fortunate in the past.  Somehow I feel I should at least ask your opinion before going to my doctor... who I would have trouble recognizing outside his office... I go so very seldom.... it's been 1½ years since I last saw him.  What do you think, should I bother with it, or am I reacting to fears brought on by my cousin's experience?  Just for additional info, I have a dime-sized hemangeoma (spelling?) beneath my other breast.
If this problem has been present for a few months I can't quite see why you would be so concerned now. I would suggest that you see your Dr. for a clinical breast exam and any other testing that might be appropriate. It's impossible to advise more than that without benefit of examination over the internet. inflammatory breast cancer presents with a red swollen breast as a rule. You might even consider consulting a Dermatologist for these skin problems that you mention. You don't state your age so I don't know if you should be receiving routine mammograms but anything new or different involving the breast should certainly be ck.d out by your Physician.    Regards .....
I would get this checked out by a doctor for sure, but it doesn't really sound like IBC to me. Kat  
if it were IBC you would see rapid changes in the size of the breast and swelling, etc...  should definitely see a dr. but I wouldn't worry too much about IBC
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.