Breast Cancer Community

Is hormone therapy necessary?

My sister had her right breast removed 2 months ago.  Her pathological exam reveals ductal carcinoma with highly differential cell type.  0/11 lymph nodes were positive.  Immunohistological markers are tested from two centers one results were ER+, PR+, Ki67+<2% and Cerb-B2++ and the other is ER(-), PR+++, Cerb-B2+++ and Ki67 (-).  Does she need hermone therapy and chemo at all and what is the prognosis for her?

Thanks much.
Generally if any lymph nodes are positive chemo is required.  Normally 8 sessions.  The size of the lump, age of the patient and menopausal status would also determine if chemo is required.  Although I was node negative and had a 2cm lump, I was 39 when diagnoised, premenopausal and the cancer was grade 3 so I was given 4 sessions of chemo.

From reading the info above, your siste is ER and PR positive so hormone therapy is normally suggested.  I too am ER and PR positive and will receive Hormone Therapy.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.