Breast Cancer Community

I've a tumor that isn't malignant...am I in trouble!

I am 49 years old and have a tumor in my left breast. Ten years ago, I had an xray and a needle biopsy done, which revealed that, although is is growing, and has continued to grow over the years, wasn't malignant. The receptionist at the doctors office told me at the time she shared the good news that my tumor wasn't malignant, that I should have it removed ASAP, as it can become malignant at any time. I went happily away from the doctor's office, never having actually spoke to him. I have stoically accepted the fact that I'd better have this removed sometime; especially since my paternal grandma died of breast cancer. I have recently become aware of how often I think about this tumor, especially since I am currently without health insurance. I still worry (silently) that this tumor could turn on me and become malignant. Is my worry in vain? Do non malignant tumors become cancerous often?
You need to consult your doctor for a re evaluation. Have you got repeat mamograms or UGS done to see whether the tumour is still increasing in size?
Ten years is a long time, and it would be best to get a review at the earliest, and also to get a repeat FNAC or biopsy if your doctor suggests it after a clinical evaluation.
It is a possibility that a new lesion could be present at the same site, or that there are some changes in the lesion. Also it would be helpful to know what type of tumour was diagnosed then, and what follow up plan was suggested to you.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.