Breast Cancer Forum

Joint pain from Arimedex and Actenol

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997, had a mastectomy, no cancer in the 18 lymph nodes that were removed. However, the tumor size was large and I was small so I still had the chemo and the radiation aftewards.
I was on Tamoxifin for 5 years and then Evista for 3. I recently went to an oncologist for a checkup and considering my high risk of family history, mother and sister had brest cancer also, he prescribed Arimedex and later Actenol. I developed severe joint pain starting in my left hand and it continued on to the arm and legs. I stopped taking both a few months later and now am taking Three Imperial Mushrooms and Juan Bi 1 (AR-125) by Pro Botanix. for the arthritis and joint pain symptoms. I want to know if I still need to take the Arimedex again, to keep the cancer away or will the Imperial Mushrooms ( with no side affects what so ever) will do the trick. I have changed my diet and lead a relatively stress free life, but with the family history and my own cancer, I need some
more input. I have been cancer free since 1997.
Thank you so much.
Lucia
Dear Lucia:    In terms of imperial mushrooms, etc., there is little to no scietific research on these products to indicate if they are helpful or harmful.  We do not make recommendations regarding such products. Treatment with an aromatase inhibitor after 5 years of tamoxifen has been shown to reduce the risk of recurrence for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor positive breast cancer. As you have implied, however, aromatase inhibitors can have side effects such as joint aches and pains as well as bone density loss.  It should be noted that the anti-osteoporosis drug Evista is chemically similar to tamoxifen and it is not recommended that either tamoxifen or Evista be used in combination with an aromatase inhibitor as they may interfere with its activity. This is not true for bisphosphonates such as Actonel, which appear to be safe in this setting.  Whether or not you would benefit from the addition of arimidex or any other breast cancer therapy would merit a discussion with your oncologist - weighing the pros and cons.  If you need additional input, you might consider a second opinion with a breast cancer specialist.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.