Your ultrasound and mammogram report states that there is a suspicious lump at the 9 o'clock position that needed to be biopsied due to it's characteristics.(spiculated)
All the other findings look probably benign,and there is no mention that biopsies are needed at this time.
A BI-RADS score 4, means that the lump is suspicious,but nothing more than that.Radiologists usually recommend a biopsy just to make sure and to rule out cancer,especially if the person has a family history.
I know that you must be worried about the biopsy results....We all know too well what it means to wait!!.,but keep in mind that many BI-RADS score 4 return a benign finding.and I sure hope that your pathology report will state the same.
Please let us know about the results,in the meantime I'll be waiting with you and hoping for the best! :)
Just wanted to add my good wishes to zouzi's. It may help to know that the odds are in your favor----about 80% of biopsy results come back benign.
It's always recommended that a biopsy be done on any suspicious mass and following that recommendation is the best you can do for yourself.
I also know from experience that wating for results can be the hardest part of a biopsy, but try to stay positive and take one step at a time, OK?
I'm wishing you all the very best and benign results. Please keep us updated if you wish by adding a post to this one. We'll be thinking of you and we do care.
Sending you a big hug from Michigan,
PS: Thank you so much for your service to our country---I have the utmost respect for our vets!
Thanks. Heard from the VA today, that they were to schedule an appt for me with the Breast Clinic. About 30 minutes later I called my Dr's Nurse to find out what that was about. She said the Dr had entered the order yesterday and that there were no notes, she'd check and get back with me.
A few hours later the Dr herself called me. Said when I have the appt Wednesday afternoon that the Clinic would "review the biopsy results and discuss a treatment plan".
Thanks for the update.
It would be a good idea to bring a family member or friend along to your appointment on Wednesday.They can serve as an extra pair of ears and help you remember things later,in case you miss something the doctor tells you.
Most importantly,take notes and ask your doctor to explain anything you don't understand.
Please let us know about the results of your biopsy.
Wishing you good luck and hoping for the best...
Yesterday, I learned from my VA Hospital that I have Invasive Mammary Carcinoma. That's all we know for certain so far. Other tests on the biopsy are still pending and an Breast MRI is being scheduled. Then we'll determine the best course of treatment.
So sorry you've been diagnosed with BC. :(
Yes, several tests will be performed before your team of doctors can plan the best treatments in your particular case.
Breast cancer is survivable and it's not the end of the world.
With proper medical treatments you will go through this difficult journey, like many of us did, and win the battle.
You could ask if your local hospital has a support group which you might find helpful.We are also here to support you and help you the best way we can.
Take care ....
I'm SO sorry to hear about your diagnosis, too. Sadly, there's that 20% that don't get the benign results we all hope for. As a vet, you're probably a really strong woman and I know you'll get through this battle, too. Zouzi's suggestion for finding a support group is a really good one. We all need extra support during difficult times. Please try to stay positive, get the best treatment you can (demand it!!!) and take just one step at a time. Please let us know how you're doing if you wish, by adding a post to this thread.
We'll be thinking of you and wishing for no evidence of disease at the end of your treatment.
Unfortunately, the type is Invasive Lobular Cancer which comes with it a decent risk of recurrence and it's common to occur in the other side as well. That's even without the family history risk.
I've been given the option of Lumpectomy/Rads/Hormone (assuming no Node involvement) or Mastectomy/Chemo/Hormone or Double Mastectomy/Chemo/Hormone.
The surgeon commented how it might be difficult to get a clean margin due to the extreme density of my breast. From the films, it's obvious I was incredibly lucky this was found. Any other spot in the Lobe area and it would have been obscure by the density for some time.
Yes you are right that ILC has the potential to occur also in the other breast.This type of breast cancer is less common than ductal cancer but is not considered more serious.
In general, the risk of distant disease ( metastasis) is slightly higher with lumpectomy + radiation therapy.A mastectomy may be recommended in some cases,because there is always a possibility that there could be other small foci of cancer in the breast that could not be seen,due to breast density,and removed with the lumpectomy.
Some members in our forum who had ILC,opted for a double mastectomy and had breast reconstruction surgery.They are happy with their decision and are actually doing very well.
Hoping that whatever you and your doctors will decide on what is best for you,concerning your surgery and treatments,will be successful in curing you from this disease as it has been for many others in your same situation.
Sincerely wishing you all the best! :)
I was diagnosed with ILC of the right breast in Oct 2010. It was never felt, never showed on a mamogram but was picked up on an ultrasound because of a tiny pimple that showed up on my nipple. The option offered to me was a mastectomy because I had 2 spots that were more then 5 cm apart. After the surgery I was told that a micro third spot was also found which would not have been found if I had a lumpectomy. Following surgery because of lymph node involvement I had chemo and radiation..
Because an MRI confirmed nothing in my other breast I opted not to have it remove at that time. I wanted to think about it. I did have it removed in Nov 2011 for piece of mind and because I wanted to preserve the lymph nodes on my left side. I'm happy with my decision.
Unless Cancer is also found in your other breast know that you do have the option of having a double mastectomy or like me you can allow yourself time to think about it. If you are unsure talk to your Surgeon again.
Keep positive there are many of us out here to help you through it.
Wishing you all the best, whatever your decision is for treatment. I'm happy you were diagnosed early and hope you end up with no evidence of disease very soon. Take good care of yourself and stay positive!
Sending you a big hug,