Breast Cancer Community

LUMP IN LEFT BREAST

Dr told me that water is in the lump in my left breast.  What is the best way to correct this ??   Thanks

This discussion is related to Lump in breast.
Eight out of 10 lumps that women may feel in their breasts are benign (not cancerous). A benign lump can be a collection of normal or hyperactive breast gland cells, or it may be a water-filled sac (cyst).

Fibrocystic changes are associated with hormonal shifts in estrogen and progesterone, which affect the breast tissue. During the menstrual cycle, the breasts swell as the milk glands and ducts enlarge and the breasts retain water. After menstruation the breast swelling goes down and the breasts return to normal.

Fibrocystic changes generally begin when women are in their twenties or thirties and usually last until menopause. For a small number of women, the condition worsens over the years, causing constant pain and lumpiness. In general, some of the lumps become permanent and may or may not shrink after menopause.

Some women with fibrocystic changes develop cysts in their breasts. A cyst is a fluid-filled sac that is usually smooth, firm, movable and sometimes tender like a water balloon without the water. The cyst will generally increase in size before the menstrual period and decrease afterwards. A large cyst may be round and feel a bit like an eyeball when pressed with the eyelid closed.

Treatment:
Avoiding foods and beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate and soft drinks, can decrease water retention and may help to alleviate the discomfort. Reducing fat in the diet may also be helpful.
Aspirin and other pain relievers, as well as the application of heat can relieve uncomfortable symptoms, as does wearing a bra that provides firm support. In worse case scenarios, oral contraceptives which change the hormonal balance can lessen fibrocystic changes. For severe cases, Danazol, a synthetic form of the hormone androgen, may be prescribed.

You should visit a clinical practioner to ascertain your case and take preventive measures accordingly. My advices are basically to increase your knowledge about fibrocystic breast changes.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.