Breast Cancer Forum

Lingering pain above left breast

It's been about 3 months that I have had a pain that started under my right arm and progressed to the upper part of my right breast.  Now it hurts when I breath in or cough.  It does not hurt as much anymore under my arm, it is just tender there; but over my breast it is quite painful.  Could it be something to worry about or that I should have checked?  thanks
Dear fanta:  If you are having constant pain, it may be worth an examination.  There are many causes of breast pain.  Most breast cancer is not painful.
thank you so much for such a fast reply.  I will follow your advice and get it checked.  Thanks again.
I too am experiencing constant pain under my right arm, and the entire right breast.  Earlier this week I had chest xray and mammogram.  Results came back normal today - but I am still in pain - not sure what my next step will be.  It has been over 3 years since my cancer treatment - I do not want to live in constant pain.  I also have no sensitivity in the nipple area.  the breast is now lumpy from the treatments so it's hard to tell if a lump is suspicious or not.  Let me know what you find out - and I will do the same.  Good luck to you.
thank you for your input.  I still have to schedule an appt.  Good luck and I will let you know what I find out.  It seems you have had cancer before, I hope you can find what is causing your pain.  This is a first for me.
Hi  thought I'd let you know what I found out. Mine seems to be something called costocondritis.  The doctor described it as an inflammation related to the ribs in that area.  That anti-inflammatory meds should help and it is nothing to worry about. I looked up this condition and it certainly seems like what I am experiencing.  Good luck to you.
So glad you and your doctor were able to determine the cause of your pain (and that it's not cancer)!  I have another appointment scheduled for next monday with a surgeon.  Best of luck to ya!
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.