Breast Cancer Forum

Lump in Breast

Im getting ready to go for a sonography of my breat, I had a mamo on 5/9/03 and told there were no adverse changes since my lat one in 1996 however, my breasts have become increasingly dense.  I dont know why I checked, but last night I did a breast exam and found a lump above my left nipple more towards underneath my arm but still on the breast.  It feels like a hard lump with a smaller lump next to it.  All of a sudden I feel panicked, like something isnt right.  When I have this sonogram of my breast this morning, will they will able to tell me right there if it is something I should worry about.  I want so badly to NOT go, but I know I have to. Not facing my fears would be the worse thing I could do.  I am 42 years old and 10 years ago had more fibroid tumors removed from my right breast.  The two lumps on my left breast do NOT feel the same as the ones on my right did.  The ones on my right moved, they were solid but mobile, the one on my left feels like its a lympnode or a lump stuck in one place and does NOT move at all.  Starting to get a little panicky here.  I would appreciate any advice or opinions.  Thank you.
Dear DeeDeeMarie, An ultrasound test is used to tell the difference between a fluid filled cyst, and something solid.  If there is a radiologist available they should be able to give you results of the sonogram the same day, however, this depends on the facilities procedures.  Depending on the findings further evaluation may be recommended.
Just got back from Sonogram, radiologist looked at it and said he saw two lumps, both solid, however, he felt one he couldnt see on the screen.  He said they have characterists of fibro adeonomas, which are benign tumors, however, he suggests I do a f/u with my doctor.  Should I be overly concerned, since my mamo did not show anything and I had 4 tumors removed from my RIGHT breast, this is now on LEFT.  Maybe Im just prone to tumors.  He wants me to come back in 6 months for another sonogram just to keep an eye on it.  What do you think?  Thank you in advance for your advice.
It remains my opinion that for a feelable lump, it makes more sense to do a needle aspiration than an ultrasound: if it's a cyst, the needle drains it and makes it go away. If it's solid, the needle can take a sample, and if the sample is benign, then it's usually safe to leave it and follow along.
Thank you for your comment.  I made an apt. with a surgeon to have a biopsy done on 6/16.  I dont feel comfortable waiting 6 months to have another ultrasound.  I am comforted though by the fact that my doctor called me with the test results and told me that she feels with my bloodwork coming back good, my chest x-rays clear, nothing in my lungs, and the fact that I did have previous fibro adenomas in the past, and the fact that there is more than one lump in my left breast is a good sign these are also benign fibroid adenomas.  Keeping my fingers crossed, but definitely following up with surgeon to put my mind at ease.  Thank you again for the advice.  This forum is amazing and quite comforting.
I went to the doctoer the other day and he said I had a lump in my right breast but he thinks it is a syst and sent me for a dianogic mamogram also he says he thinks I may have cervic cancer and did a ememtrois test I am really scared I have five kids and 4 grandchildren I am really scared anyone had this
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.