Breast Cancer Community

Lump in Breast

This morning, as I do every month, I did a self breast exam b/c I was beginning to notice the my left breast was getting sore.........I found that seem to be a lump. I am only 24 years old, but breast cancer does run in our family like wild fire. One of my aunts died at only the age of 32 b/c of breast cancer. I know I need to go have this checked, but I guess my question is, is this possible at my age?
It is possible but from what you describe as your symptoms I would tend to think Fibrocystic Breast Disease. Pain is rarely associated with breast cancer but Fibroadenomas do cause pain and soreness. you definitely should have this checked out by your Physician as soon as possible.   Regards .....
I am 25 and breast cancer runs in my family also, my mom had it. If you are at higher risk and you did find a lump, I would have it checked out ASAP. However, I wouldn't jump right to Fibrocystic Breast Disease. It sounds more like an infected lumph node. If you have had a child or breastfed, it is highly likely that a lymph node or a mammory duct got infected and has taken this long to be palpable and painful. I also suggest talking to your OB doc about yearly breast ultrasounds. They are not as sensitive as a mammo, but could give you peace of mind until you are old enough for mammos. Also, you can have a breast MRI: no radiation and it shows thin slices of the breast.  Just something to think about.
Hi.
I commend you for doing monthly breast self examination.  If breast cancer runs in the family, breast cancer screening should be started 10 years earlier from the age of the first degree relative diagnosed with breast cancer.  About 10% of breast cancer is hereditary.  The Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) data showed that the incidence of breast cancer is about 1.9% in the age group of 20 to 34 years in 2001-2005.
I agree with your decision to have the lump examined by your doctor.  You may need to undergo work-ups like a breast ultrasound.  
Take care.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.