Breast Cancer Forum

Lump in armpit

We have a history of breast cancer in our family, most recently my mother last year, my sister has had a 4 mil. size lump in her armpit and she said it is really painful.  She went to a doctor about 4 weeks ago who put her on a antibiotic saying he thought it was swollen lymph node.  Not feeling satified with what he said and the lack of consern knowing the history of breast cancer in our family she went to get another opinion.  She met with the doctor this week after having a mammogram and the lump has grown from 4 mil. to 7 mil.  Her doctor is requesting a consultation with another doctor for a biopsy because of the history in my family of breast cancer.  My question is, besides posibly, worst case, breast cancer, what other things could the lump be?
Dear beckyski:  A painful lump in the armpit could be many things.  Without further evaluation, which may include biopsy, it is impossible to speculate on what this might be.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.