Breast Cancer Forum

Lump under armpit

I found a lump under my armpit about 6 months ago am now getting it looked into.  It is painless, indentation formed at lower edge, about 1 cm, hard and immovable. It has been slowly getting larger over the last six months.  I have been on antibiotics for 7 days (875mg 2x day)to rule out an abcess, this has not changed the condition of my lump.  I am 26, been on birth control pills for 11 years, smoked for 12, mother had breast cancer at 44, started menstrating at age 11, and over weight.  Based on my risk factors and the condition of my lump, should I be concerned about cancer or is there any other condition that would manifest itself with a lump of this nature?
Thank you for your time.
Dear AMacMillan, A lump like this should be further evaluated and it could turn out to be a benign (non-cancerous) situation. For example, this could be a lymph node, enlarging because of infection. However, without further checking you can't be sure.  
i gound a lump under my armpit, its only been there for twelve hours however is sore when touching and i have no reason to think i bumped it. i also have heart rushes now and then which makes me breath less for around 2 seconds. the feeling is of a tight chest and fast pumping. i have just turned 18, i have also two larger lumps in ma breast, but i believe them to be non maligamous because they have grown but that was as a started developing and now i have stoped so have the lumps, they are unpainful, but have never been checked out.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.