Breast Cancer Community

Male Breast Cancer

So I am a 23 year old male. I noticed a lump behind my nipple about 3 weeks ago. It doesn't hurt at all. It is probably about 1.5 inches across. I went to the doctor today and he said I should get it checked out. I am getting a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound on Monday. (didn't even know guys could get mammograms) I have done a little research on male breast cancer. I am a bit worried because they say the lack of pain is one of the first symptoms. I know it highly highly unlikely, and yet I find myself pretty nervous. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with male breast cancer?

Most breast lumps are not cancerous.

Symptoms of male breast cancer include lumps, changes to the nipple or breast skin - redness or scaling, skin dimpling or puckering, or  nipple discharge.

What you need to do is get a clinical breast examination done by a physician. If he notices something amiss he will suggest a mammogram and USG.

It would then be possible on the basis of these reports to decide whether a core needle biopsy or a surgical excision biopsy would be required in your case.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
Guys can definitely have breast cancer. When I was 24 my right nipple became enlarged and if I pressed it between my fingers about 6 drops of clear fluid popped out of the little openings in the tip of my nipple. The doctor said I had a precancerous condition and urged me to have my right breast, nipple included, completely removed. I went ahead with the mastectomy, so now I have only one nipple, just the left one. The report from the surgery said I have a growth in my nipple that certainly would have become cancerous if I hadn't had the breast taken off. So now I have only one nipple, but that beats having cancer. I'm glad I had the operation. I check my remaining nipple about once a month, and so far it's okay.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.