Breast Cancer Community

Mammogram interpretation

Mammogram findings: breast are heterogeneously dense. A new 11mm partially circumscribed mass in the outer right breast is noted on the CC view, without associated architectural distortion or suspicious clustered microcalcification. There are scattered and occasionally grouped benign smooth punctate and round microcalcifications.

What exactly does this mean and could a recent pectoral muscle tear have anything to do with it? Probably benign? Fibrous breasts? Thanks.
Hi again,
Your radiologist has decided to perform a FNA,( Fine needle aspiration)because he/she is not sure if the lump in your breast represents a complicated cyst or a solid nodule.
Complicated cysts are fluid filled sacs but contain some solid material (debris) These type of cysts are usually aspirated and have the cells examined by a pathologist to better evaluate the nature of the cyst and the  majority will results in benign findings when biopsied.
If it's a solid nodule,then the tissues extracted will be also examined for a correct diagnosis.
Very often complicated breast cysts or solid nodules are found to be benign in nature,but I really cannot say for sure because only a biopsy will give a definite answer.Your doctor, who knows more detail, might be able to give you a bit of an idea ahead of time.
All the best..
The heterogeneously density finding itself is not a risk factor for breast cancer.. Many women have these changes.The only thing is that such density which is composed of fibroglandular tissue (50 to 75%) makes the mammogram more difficult to read,and an abnormality could be missed.
A partially circumscribed mass means that the edges are clear on part of the mass and not as clear on the other part.However there are no architectural distortion or suspicious clustered microcalcification reported,and this is a good sign.
There is score assigned on your Mammogram report called  BI-RADS.(Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System).
This system is used by radiologist to categorize how suspicious the findings are.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the score the more suspicious are the findings .
It's important to know what your score is.If you don't know,you could call the radiologist or your doctor to find out about it.I am sure your radiologist has made some type of recommendation regarding your mammogram findings.Depending on your BIRADS score, you and your physician will know if more investigation is required,such as a diagnostic mammogram, Ultrasound or an MRI test.
Wishing you all the best!

P.S. I am not sure if the muscle injury could be related to the small mass detected in your breast.
My report states bilateral scattered fibroglandular densities, left axillary lymph nodes,   dense breast tissue may obscure a neoplasm.

Surgeon is taking out what I thought was scar tissue.

Comments?

Thank you for your response. BIRAD score was zero: Additional info required. Repeat "spot" mammogram, followed  by an ultrasound done. Results:

Mammogram: spot compression of area shows oval in shape with circumscribed margins. No associated architectural distortion or suspicious clustered microcalcifications.

Ultrasound findings: 10x6x5ml oval circumscribed lesion at 9 o'clock position 4cm from nipple, which could represent a nodule or concave cyst with low level internal echoes. Lesion is parallel to chest wall. No posterior shadowing.

Recommendation: Ultrasound guided FNA 0f 10 mm complicated cyst vs. nodule.

? chance of malignancy??
Hi, again:

Thanks for your responses. Had an US guided FNA today, but he had some difficulty aspirating, so also did a core biopsy. They left a marker in place and did repeat mammogram to check placement. Now, they said I have to wait 3 days for the results. I thought cytology of the FNA could be done right then and histology of the CBA might take a day or two. Should I be worried that results are taking longer or about the difficulty with the FNA? Thanks so much.
Hi Hula,
I think the lump could not be completely aspirated because the tissue was too hard to draw into the needle and that's why a core biopsy was performed because the needle has a special tip which is hollow and larger.With this type of biopsy,the Radiologist/Surgeon was able to extract small tissue samples to be studied under the microscope by a pathologist..
The standard of care is to place a tiny stainless steel or titanium clip on the spot where the tissue was sampled,because it serves as a landmark to identify the area that was biopsied on future mammograms.Also if there's ever a need to remove more tissue, then the surgeon can use the clip as a bull's-eye marker during surgery.
I have never heard that breast biopsies results are obtained the same day.It usually takes 4 to 7 days.The report has to be dictated,  transcribed,proof read by the doctor, signed, and finalized.So please don't worry, there is no delay here.You will receive your results in a few days.
I know.... waiting is very stressing,as it is for every one of us,but try to keep busy as much as you can so the waiting will seem much shorter.
I wish you well and benign results !
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.