Breast Cancer Community

Microcalcifications and Papillomatosis

I had a mammogram 2/8/2017 that was normal with a Bi-Rad of 1.  This year, I had a mammogram on 2/14/18 and I received a call the next day telling me that I needed to come in for another mammogram.  I went in on 2/16/18 and had the further testing done and I was told that they had found microcalcifications that were suspicious for malignancy and that my mammogram was a rated a Bi-Rad 4 and that I needed to schedule a stereotactic biopsy.  This was performed on 2/22/18.  The doctor that did the biopsy told me that she ended up taking 2 biopsies because she wasn't sure if there was enough microcalcifications in the piece she obtained for an accurate biopsy.  I have now received my pathology report and I am unsure if I should get a 2nd opinion.  My pathology report stated:

LEFT BREAST, RETROAREOLAR, STEREOTACTIC HOLOGIC CORE NEEDLE BIOPSIES. BENIGN BREAST AND LACTIFEROUS DUCT TISSUE WITH FOCAL PAPILLOMATOSIS. RARE INTRACELLULAR REFRACTILE MATERIAL PRESENT IN THE LUMEN. (DISCRETE MICROCALCIFICATIONS NOT IDENTIFIED.)

I am concerned that the microcalcifications were not identified and that these microcalcifications were not on my mammogram a year ago.  I do get mammograms regularly because I have had fibrocystic changes and my breast density is rated a 3.

COMMUNITY LEADER
I am a true believer in being your own advocate.  if you feel the biopsy was not preformed correctly, ask for another one, a second opinion, whatever it takes to make you feel secure in the findings.  
please update when you can
Thank you.  It's not that I think it was performed incorrectly.  She just said that it was so close to the skin that she didn't know if she got enough microcalcifications in the biopsy for an accurate test.
mhv
I am sorry for my wording.  Let me try again.  If you do not think they were able to obtain enough tissue for adequate testing of the area in question, please speak up and express your concern.  I would rather be safe than sorry.  Again, I apologize for my wording
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.