After surgery the mass came back as showing no cancer at all and lymph nodes were also negative. Dr's are concerned if they got it or not. I am to have an MRI to determine further treatment. Is it possible that all the cancer was removed during the biopsies prior to surgery? I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. (i.e. cancer determined from biopsies and then no cancer when mass removed). Could the original pathology report from the biopsies have been wrong and can they re-test the samples from the biopsy?
Or, is this just a miracle, as I am claiming it?
Thanks for your reply. That is the first and last thing I do each day. I am so thankful. I am cautious and am still consideing radiation treatment if my oncologist still recommends it after the MRI results are in. Have you had any radiation treatments ?
NO I have not had any radiation since I had mastectomy. I am still trying to determine of I need Chemo. I have seen several oncologists and there is no consensus. I had oncotype testing done to guide the chemo decision unfortunately the test is fairly new so there is not enough acceptance among the medical community. Have they done this test for you? Just curious.
I have not had the oncotype test done. What exactly is this done for? What is it suppose to determine. My oncologist has just ordered the MRI at this point. It is on June 21st and then I see him on June 26th. All other treatment and tests, if needed are pending the MRI. I think the fact that they did not get any cancerous pathology from the lumpectomy has made all my doctors a little cautious and are not quite sure how to proceed until after the MRI results.
Hi - at my hospital they keep the tissue from all biopsies and surgeries. The HER2 test was not done at my hospital when I was dx in 2003, but I decided to have this done privately for peace of mind. It took about a month for the results, which thankfully were negative. They used the original tissue and I didn't need to have another biopsy. The testing was done at a different hospital to the one where I am treated, I don't know why. I would ask your doctors if your original biopsy tissue can be retested, preferably at a University hospital or major breast cancer centre. I am not familiar with MRI testing for bc, as they don't use this method in England as far as I am aware. Hope you get a conclusion on the 26th. Let us know how it went?
Well, I saw my oncologist today and the MRI came back with an abnormality. It is a 0.9cm mass at the 1 o'clock position. Curiously enough, my original lump, which was detected was 0.8cm at the 1 o'clock position. This may indeed be the same mass . Even if it is not, I think the chances of it being malignant are probably pretty high. and I just assume to have it out of my body as soon as possible. It may have been missed completetly during my lumpectomy, as the pathology did come back as no cancer at all. Although I still believe in miracles I do understand that the doctor could have missed it, It was so small and hard to place the needle localization for surgery. Of course me and my surgeon were not expecting anything on the MRI, but it was done to make sure they did not miss anything, nothing else is going on and and to check my right breast. The right one is OK per the MRI. I finally got the rest of my pathology back from the original biopsy and it was HER2 negative and PR+ and ER+, which is all good. NOW, I am back to the surgeon. My oncologist suggested that I get another biopsy and perhaps the surgeon could be present. I told him, if it is highly probable that this "new" mass is indeed the original mass missed, then I would prefer to forgo the biopsy and waiting for the pathology from that to then decide what to do next. I would rather just have surgery to remove it and then get the patholgy. I will talk to my surgeon and see what he has to say Thurday, June 29th. He did say, that it was possible that he could have missed it. Oncologist is anxious to get to the bottom of this so he can start my radiation and tamoxifen. treatment. That's why, after I talk to my surgeon and if my insurance will allow, I will seriously consider just going right to another lumpectomy. I did request, however, if I got another biopsy that I wanted it sent else where. More to follow as known. Thanks for your insights.
Mine was missed. I had to have 2 biopsies. I decided to have masectomy and glad I did. I was told my cancer was DCIS but after the masectomy they found a small amount of invasion that would have gone un-noticed. So I made the right decision. Let us know how you do. We will support you any way possible. This is very hard but you will get through it.
I just got the news that the pathology from my 2nd lumpectomy had clear margins. Now I can start my radiation treatment and tamoxifen, but 1st I am going on a weeks, paid, vacation to Sunny California. It has been raining here everyday. We are calling Oklahoma and Texas the new Oregon and Washington.
My sister, from California just called and said she got her pathology back as being benign. I am so happy for her. She apparently had mitiple calcifications of some sort, but then was told there was something? in one of her ducts which could develope into cancer? so she is to see a surgeon on July 16th. I can't wait to see here and at least now she will have time before any other procedures, to enjoy her daughter's wedding on the 14th.
Usually callbacks are because they see something "of interest" and want more views to look closer. Often it's due to calcifications. Calcifications are a normal part of aging or caused by trauma to the breast. Other times they clump in suspicious formations and a biopsy is requested. There are other reasons for callback, but calc callbacks are what I'm most familiar with. When she goes back they should explain why or else she should ask. Here's another thought, since this time they want to use film it makes me think that they want to compare a current film mammo to a previous film mammo. Was this her first digital mammo? Digital is so much clearer that it may look as if calcifications have increased rapidly since her last mammo when in reality it could just be the increase is due to a clearer picture.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and support and to give an update.On July 10th, the day before I was to leave for vacation, I had an appointment with my Oncologist. he then wanted to start my treatment and his first words were Chemo!. This kind of freaked me out as chemo had not even been mentioned before. I gues I kind of insulted his proffesional opinion as I tried to remind him that earlier he had stated that masses under 1cm and no lymphnode involvement, it would not indicate the need for chemo. Now, with the 2nd lumpectomy, he is adding the 2 together and saying I had a mass totalling 1.7mm, so I need chemo 1st. Well, I told him I was having a little trouble, to say the least, with his math and conclusion and told him that as I do appreciate his expert recommendation, that I would have to think about it. So, he then says, well, the chemo is needed because of your age and Blaa, Blaa, Blaah! I stopped listening at that point. I told him I would think about it over vacation and get back with him then. So, then he says, God bless his heart and aggressiveness, that he wanted to run an oncotype test. I said great. He said I would have the results in 2weeks and he too was about to take a vacation. I told him I would make my final decision after the onco test results. So, I went to California and had a wonderful time and well needed. I told myself I was going to take a vacation, mind, body and soul, from all of this until I get the onco score. Of course, he I am, still waiting. I get my results back next Tuesday, Aug. 7th. Goos news is, my sister had a lumpectomy for the suspicious duct and her pathology came back as benign. Yahoo!
I was told chemo for 2 cm or larger. That was 6 years ago. Maybe it has changed? I think that if you still have concerns after the oncotype test, then get a second opinion. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what treatment to go with, but you need to be sure in your soul that you are doing what is right for you and then never look back, be it chemo and rads, or rads only.
Glad you were able to enjoy the vaca, and great news for your sis.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.