Breast Cancer Community
I am going for my mri Friday.My report states: ultrasound shows a cluster of cysts in left breast.There is also a 4.2mm x 7,0 mm solid.My mammogram just showed an 8.0 mm node or cyst.It went on to say..they arent sure if it is the same thing on the mammogram that they see on ultrasound .They also stated it was ovoid shaped.Looking for solid or cyst.Now i am freaking.What is diff between solid and cyst,,and could it be possible(if this is same area)that it may be getting smaller>I do have fiboids in other breast they arent concerned about,,,,,thanks
Sometimes what shows on a mammogram does not show on ultrasound or the other way around.Generally speaking, small clustered cysts are virtually always benign.The fact that the radiologist is not sure if the node is a cyst or a solid nodule,the MRI will surely clarify what this finding represents.
A cyst is a fluid filled sac whilst a solid nodule is made up of solid tissue that could represent a rounded clump of normal tissue, a fibroadenoma (a benign tumor) which is the most common benign breast tumor and unfortunately possible malignancy depending on it's characteristics.These solid nodules often require further evaluation, so after your MRI test,your doctor will decide if the abnormality is suspicious enough to require further testing such as a biopsy to obtain a correct diagnosis.
Hopefully, soon you'll get the answers you need and I hope that everything turns out okay.

P.S. Please,I would like to suggest to you, not start a new thread if you have any additional questions or comments.It would be better if you keep them on the same thread because it helps us to have all your information together so we can better help you.
Thank you.
well I went Friday for my MRI,which was a horrible experience.I was told to wait 4 to 5 days for reading.Wish  me luck.I will tell you that this last month has been a life changing experience for me,no matter what the outcome may be..thanks
Thanks for the update and I am so sorry you had a bad experience with the MRI test.
I can surely understand how you must feel going through this difficult time...but hang in there,things might turn out fine after all.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and I"ll keep my fingers crossed for Benign results!
Wishing you GOOD LUCK!!
HI Zouzi..My doctor called me today and told me that I need a biopsy(which I knew would happen).He stated that the area  is smaller then half an inch,and there is no lymph glands or nodes involved.this made me feel so much better.He also said that it was rated a 5.I asked if that meant cancer,and he said you cant say if its cancer without a biopsy.I told him after I drank 4 cups of coffee,,it hurt and burned in the area..he said it could be fibriodcystic .I will go to talk to surgeon on the 27th,,and have it done 2nd week of JUly,seems to me if it was real bad,,they would stress me going a lot sooner...thank you so much for your help.I have learned that I am actually a strong woman!!
I can certainly relate on the MRI experience. I have them ever six months because I have LCIS and I sure agree that they're no fun. I get really nauseous and when I breathe deeply to keep from throwing up, it creates movement and I sometimes need the MRI repeated to be diagnostic.(YUCK!) I also end up in pretty severe pain by the end of them because of the positioning and just count the minutes until it's over. Fortunately, they've been stable for two years now and I know it's just something I must go through to stay on top of my breast issues. I've had three biopsies and I can tell you that my experience with those was much better than the MRI. At least you can be sedated, and when you wake up, it's over. I had very little pain with recovery and I've read that's generally the experience of most women here.
I'm hoping you'll have an easy biopsy and quick recovery. Caffiene can certainly effect benign fibrocystic disease, so I'm hoping that's the case with you and your results are benign.
You're right that you're a strong woman---we all are who face these challenges and our fears with a positive attitude and hopeful heart. Stay strong and hang in there. Please come back and let us know how you're doing if you wish. We do care.
Wishing you all the best and sending a big hug from Michigan (   ),
nc
Hi again,
Glad to know that your lymph nodes are fine and that you are feeling strong.Having a positive attitude helps a lot to deal with the difficulties in your life.You are on the right track... keep it that way!
As your doctor has suggested,there is really no way of knowing what this small nodule represents...A biopsy is definitely the only way to find out what's going on and I hope and pray for benign results.
I join my dear friend "ncmichigan" on wishing you all the best! :)

got my report today in mail.right breast suspected of papilloma.left breast...10x8x8mm nodule  worrisome for neoplasm.questionable area of low grade histology neplasm or dcis ...it sounds like they found 3 areas in l breast.10x8x8 with slightly spiclated margins,clustered non mass area in other position,and small 9x6x9 mm suspicious for papilloma..now,,,,i am really freaking.my left breast was birad 5.I am pretty sure i have cancer,,so i guess i will deal with it,,,,thanks
I am sorry to hear of the findings in the report you received today, and understand that you are "freaking."

A BI-RADS 5 is associated with a high probability that there is malignacy, and the "slightly spiculated edges" also increases the likelihood that a nodule is malignant.  However, as your doctor told you when he called you shortly after your MRI and told you it was "a 5," it can not absolutely be determined that it is cancer until you have the biopsy, and the pathologist examines the specimens.

We usually advise people, "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst." I do think it it wise to prepare yourself that more likely than not it will turn out to be cancer. ( Then if by some chance it turns out benign, you can celebrate!)  Please keep in mind that the sizes you mentioned are 1 cm or less at the longest dimension and your doctor previously told you there did not appear to be lymph node abnormality, which suggests that if it is cancer, it is likely that it has been found at an early, very treatable stage.

Please keep us informed (adding any posts to this same thread) regarding how you are doing--we care!

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly
thanks for your input.I have read that several women have had same experiences and it turned out to be benign.I called my doctor,and he said if it is dcis,,that means pre-cancer,im sort of confused,,,any input would be appreciated,,,,Jean
Here is a link to a previous thread where I discussed DCIS in considerable detail:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/DCIS-Positive/show/1479095

Hope this helps,
bb
p.s. I am also sending you a private message. Please click on your Inbox, in the upper right-hand corner of this page.

bb
Thank you, Jean, for sharing your MRI results and I'm sorry that the results are so troubling. I hope you take bluebutterfly's excellent advice and try to stay hopeful, but be prepared in case your biopsy confirms malignancy. It is what it is, and you'll be strong enough to deal with it, I'm sure. You'll find great advice and support from zouzi and bb, as I have, so please let us know how you're doing if you wish.
Take care and we'll all be thinking of you and hoping for the best,
Hugs,
nc
Update,,today I went to talk to the surgeon(whom my doctor recommended).He felt my breasts,and siad he didnt feel anything.I asked him if he read my MRI results,and he said yes,Then he told me,,I am a surgeon,I dont do biopsies/..I was like,,,,why am I here then????he told me he will call a radiologist to set up the biopsy.He also stated that there is no way anyone can tell by looking at my MRI,if I have cancer(whether it be invasive or not),And they cant see if it is even cancer,my mri results were pretty specific,and my own doctor said he was optimistic that it stated it was not in any lymph areas.so,,,,should i be happy,more nervous or what>>>my thought was an MRI with contrast is pretty clear on what is what,,,,sometimes i wonder if all this runaround is to make more money,,,,,,thanks,,,,,Jean
Hi Jean,

I'm so sorry it turned out that you'd "skipped a step" as a result of being sent to that surgeon before you'd had a biopsy. (Some surgeons DO do biopsies, but often it's left to the radiologists. It's too bad that, when the referral was made, the surgeon's office didn't ask for enough information  to determine whether your case fell within the scope of his practice...)

MRIs can be very good, especially at "seeing through" dense tissue. However, they are so sensitive they can sometimes result in false positives.

Experienced radiologists are good at judging how suspicious  findings appear to be, and a BI-RADS 5 is supposed to be reserved for a finding "Highly Suspicious of Malignancy-- Lesion that has a high probability of being malignant (>= 95%); take appropriate action."

However, the surgeon is correct. As I mentioned above, in my first post on 6//22/12, "it can not absolutely be determined that it is cancer until you have the biopsy, and the pathologist examines the specimens."

So for now, you are still in limbo, and my advice would still be to "hope for the best but prepare for the worst."

Hang in there,
bb
I'm sorry to hear it sounds like there's been some miscommunication on your case among the various medical professionals, Jean. My three biopsies were all done by a surgeon, although radiologists were involved in the needle localizations prior to the excisional biopsies. It would have been so much easier on you if the surgeon's office had told you right away that he doesn't do biopsies and had directed you to someone else. It means another "wait" for you, which I know is really hard, but at least you'll get something definitive after the biopsy. Although clinical exams, mammos, US and MRI may be pretty definitive as to what's going on, only the biopsy and path report can confirm what is suspected in those other tests. I hope your biopsy can be scheduled quickly, as you've been through enough stress already. We're still all hoping for the best for you and hope you'll continue to remain positive through the long wait. We'll be thinking of you so please let us know how things go if you wish.
I hope another big hug helps (       ),
nc
update,,going for biopsy next week,,my friend said that when she had same thing happen,,they got her in next day,,,,if this is anything like dcis, can it spread fast>?/I have been going thru this for month(mammogram,ultrasound,mri)I am ready to just leave the country and say the heck with it all.....jean
by the way,,,,I forgot to mention,,I do live in the worse state of Illinois which is broke
Hi Jean,
First of all,please don't be discouraged if things seem to take long to reach a final diagnosis.These procedures can't be rushed and all the tests you have done are necessary.
I was diagnosed with a small invasive breast tumor 4 years ago and I went through the same things you are going through,including worrying that it would spread.My breast surgeon assured me that waiting to have my biopsy and surgery would not have changed in any way the end result.From the day I was diagnosed to the day I finally had my surgery it took almost three months.Here I am 4 years later, and thank God I am doing just fine .
If the little lump in your left breast turns out to be DCIS,then you don't have to worry that it will spread.This type of cancer is "NOT invasive" it stays in it's original place and doesn't spread beyond the milk duct into any normal surrounding breast tissue. DCIS isn’t life-threatening and is highly curable..
Now,try to stay calm,next week you'll have your biopsy and I hope the results will be benign.
Just hang in there, take one step at a time and especially arm yourself with courage and positivity so you'll be able to face anything that comes your way...
Again wishing you all the best and good luck Jean...
went to see radiologist today,,he wanted his own ultrsaounds,since my other ones were done at diff hospitalhe basically stated  the same findings,except,,he said the tumor isnt dcis,it could be stage 0 or 1.and he is concerned about the tissue next to it,he said that he cant really say if its anything,or dcis.i asked him if his findings ever came back benign,and he said he has been surprised before.,now,,i am going to go to a much larger hospital in st louis,and talk to a group of people.,i feel better about that,,but that radiologist started throwing words at me,,like mastectomy>>>>?>???i havent even gotten a bopsy yet,,,gheesssss,,,,jean
Hi Jean,
Until the biopsy procedure is done,no one can know for sure what an abnormality detected on mammograms imaging may represent.
Even though experienced radiologists could identify suspicious findings,they cannot be 100% sure about anything.That's why the radiologist told you that "He has been surprised before"because the certainty of a diagnosis rests only on pathology results.It's not unheard of that some very suspicious abnormalities turned out to be benign findings.
I can surely understand your feelings of anxiety and fear.It is important to know that it is normal for you and all of us to have these feelings when we don't know what's going on.
Joining a group could be very helpful to find healthy ways to deal with the  emotional challenges you are facing right now.
Just try your best not to dwell on negative thoughts.After all, things might not be as bad as you imagine...
Take care..
Hi, Jean,
Just wanted to add my good wishes to bb and zouzi's. I hope all goes well with your biopsy at the larger hospital. Hopefully, you'll have the advantage of a more experienced team and will be taken care of well. Hang in there and try to stay positive. I can certainly understand your frustration with the testing and waiting, but almost all of us here have experienced it and we've managed to get through it. I certainly can empathize, but we can't let it get us down.
Wishing you all the best,
nc
Thank you all so much for your encouragement.I have re-read all my reports,and now I am more clear.My left breast does have a solid at 12 oclock,which is worrisome for malignancy(which I knew),.but,,at 8 oclock,there is another area they are not sure about,that may be dcis.okay,,if Im repeating this report,please let me know.M question is,,can a person have cancer in 2 diff areas in breast? and if he was more concerned of 8 oclock area,,can the nodule be benign??I know you arent doctors,,but I think I will be able to write a book after this is over..lol.....my blessings to all of you too!I feel like I have made a new group of friends...Jean
Hi Jean,
To answer your question,yes it's possible to have more than one malignant tumor in one breast,but it's not common.
As I mentioned in my previous message,benign findings are always a possibility even if the lump appears to be suspicious.
You are right...we are not doctors but you know,even breast specialists cannot answer your question regarding tumors being benign or not. Without the benefit of a biopsy and pathological analysis of the specimen  it's not possible to obtain a correct diagnosis.
Thanks for your blessings...We all need them!
Blessings to you too. :)
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.