Breast Cancer Community

Need answers

I had a mammogram a few weeks ago,showed a 2cm abnormality. They had me come back for additional mammograms,spot compressions and ultra sounds. The same thing showed up. They did a needle biopsy and told me it was benign. I thought that was over. Got a call from the doctor yesterday,said they had been trying to reach me for a couple weeks,I don't answer toll free calls usually. He said the abnormality is still showing up on the mammograms but didn't show yo on the ultra sound,the doctor that did the procedure talked to the radiologist and my personal physician and the want me to come back for another mammogram tomorrow. They said if it shows up again they want to do an insized( not positive that's correct spelling) biopsy. Said they need to find out what it is. I did have a breast reduction about 4 years ago,they know this and do not think it's scar tissue. What am I to expect with all this?is it possible after biopsy,etc. that it may not be benign? How long will recovery take with this procedure and how long will it be before I can return to work? As you can see,I am very nervous and scared and need answers,I was shocked yesterday when the doctor called,I forgot to ask anything.any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This discussion is related to Suspicious Abnormality on Mammogram.
It’s really hard to tell what the abnormality may represent.The problem is that when a lesion looks suspicious on multiple tests,but turns out benign on a fine needle biopsy,Doctors prefer to perform an excisional biopsy so that the entire tissue can be examined under the microscope by a pathologist for a correct diagnosis.I think this is excellent medical practice and I also think the odds are in your favor that the tissue removed will also be benign as it was on your first biopsy. Recovery is not that long but your Surgeon will advise you about  post -operative care and restrictions.
All the best and good luck!
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.