Breast Cancer Community

Nipple Lump

Hi, I'm a 24 year old male. Roughly 2 weeks ago i carried my push mower up my basement stairs, not thinking at all before doing it about how heavy it is. Within a day or two after i developed a sharp pain in my ribs and a small lump above my left nipple. The nipples hruts when i touch it, almost like it's sore. I thought it would go away but Sometimes the rib pain was unbearable and i was growing concerned about the nipple lump.

I went to urgent care in my town, they took some x-rays and i went for an ultrasound. Both showed nothing. The doctor there gave me a prescription for 800mg ibpreoufen. I'm getting more and more worried about this lump. I'm starting to worry about cancer. Should i be worried about cancer if the ultrasound showed nothing? Could the rib pain and the nipple lump be connected? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Andrew
Hi there.

Breast cancer is extremely rare in males.  The rib pain could still be due to the strenuous physical activity that you did two weeks ago, especially if a person would continue working and not getting enough rest.  The lump can be a sore area, like a bruise or a hematoma (blood collection) underneath the skin which would resolve with time.  The negative x-rays and the ultrasound are reassuring.  I suggest you observe the lump for any changes and report such to your physician. If it still there after a week or more, then a needly biopsy may be warranted (but this should first be discussed with your doctor).

Regards.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.