Breast Cancer Forum

Now what?

My breast has been swollen, warm(not constantly) and skin that has stayed consistently pink or red for about 4 months.  There is also a hard lump or mass between my collarbone and breast that started small but has become larger in all directions.  I noticed some tiny red spots(look like red felt tip pen dotted by abdomen and chest) that have increased over about a week.  I am exhausted all the time, there an increasing amount of time I am in pain when I walk and sometimes when I am sitting(enough to make me cry a couple of times).  I am only 33 years old and the doctors made me feel like I was a nuisance to them because I am fighting to get a diagnosis.  I have had a mammogram, ultrasound and an incisional biopsy(even though there was no lump and he practically asked me where to do the biopsy right before the procedure).  I had a ct scan this week that showed no abnormality in chest wall(then what is this lump?) with a recommendation for a checkup in six months.  I am scared about inflammatory breast cancer.  I have read that it does not have to be the entire breast that is affected by IBC to make a diagnosis.  Should I just wait the six months or should I bother them for a skin biopsy.  It feels like they think that I am being ridiculous, but how can I have all of these symptoms and everything still be ok?  Please give me your opinion as a doctor as to what I should do.
Dear beeker:  There are a couple of options.  One is to discuss your feelings with your doctor and ask specifically about the hard lump on your chest and the skin biopsy.  Either would be a fairly simple procedure.  The other option, particularly if you are feeling negative about the relationship with your doctor, is to seek a second opinion from a breast specialist.  While your at it, a good physical from an internist may help to determine if some of your findings are not breast related.
I'd do a biopsy of the red skin, and/or of the lump near the collarbone. Or, at minimum, a second opinion from another breast surgeon.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.