Breast Cancer Forum

PAINFUL LUMP

I have a lump in my breast that has been examined through x-rays on two occassions.  On both occassions I was told that it was nothing to worry about but now I get sharp shooting pains where the lump is and I have noticed that it has moved closer to my armpit area.  Is there anything that I should worry about?  Thank you!
Dear ANAVA:  Typically, breast cancer is not associated with pain.  However, breasts can be painful.  You might consider a breast specialist who can help you sort out the reason for the pain and strategies for its management.
xray evaluation of a lump is not definitive: most painful lumps aren't cancer, but a persisting lump needs more than an xray to be sure what it is. That means a physical evaluation by someone expert in breast lumps, and/or very careful followup, and/or some form of biopsy.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.