Breast Cancer Community

Pain in my left breast

I have really bad pain in my left breast it has been there for about 6 weeks now. I went to the doctor yesterday as I was getting concerned it was not going away. He told me that it could be an infection even though I do not have a fever there is no redness either. My breast is lumpy in general and am unable to tell if there is a new lump as it is so painful to touch. He rarely checked it and said because of my age and no breast cancer family history I would be ok and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic. I know I would be at a higher risk if a family member had breast cancer but it is not uncommon for someone to get cancer these days when there is no family history.
Should I get a second opinion. Should I get a second opinion?
I think you should wait and give the antibiotic a chance to work before seeking a second opinion. Breast pain can be due to a variety of causes but rarely associated with breast cancer. If the condition hasn't improved after you have finished the prescription then I would suggest that you see a Breast Specialist for possibly an Ultrasound; this very well may be either a cyst or Fibroadenoma (both benign) and the pain may decrease in relation to your hormone levels.   Regards ....
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.