Breast Cancer Forum

Painful Lump In Left Breast

I am a 27 year old white female, and we have a 19 month old beautiful son. I did not breast feed at anytime with our son.

Here is my story:

Since Jan 05, I have been having a painful stinging sensation in my chest, which always has made me worry about my heart. That something is wrong. However recently I discovered that I have a lump in my left breast, and it is VERY painful. Even to rub against something puts a lot of discomfort on me. After I found this I called and made an appt with my Dr. She did an exam on my breasts and confirmed that my left breast has a lump in it. She ordered me an ultra-sound, which I am having done on Tues, May 3rd. She told me that depending on what that shows, will determine the next steps to take. She said that the Dr. will be there and give me the results right away, as to what this is. She had told me that it may just be a cyst, and not cancer, but that she could make no promises. The lumo is very painful and it feels sometimes like someone is stabbing me in the breast, or that I am being shocked with electricity. Has anyone else experienced this? And would be willing to share their story with me, or an inication of some kind. My Dr. did say that sometimes drinking a "HIGH" amount of caffine can cause cysts in your breasts. I do drink a large amount of caffine in a day. Between coffee and pop. I sincerely hope and pray that this is NOT cancer, but hopefully if it is that it has been caught in time.I first began to notice this in Jan of this year, and the pain has become a lot worse. The area feels like its burning sometimes.
Dear HuntersMom91503:  Most breast cancers present as a painless lump or as a lump on mammogram.  However, any lump, painful or not, should be evaluated.  There are many possible explanations for lumps.  The ultrasound will help to determine if this lump is solid or fluid-filled (cystic).  Then, the doctor will be able to make recommendations regarding what action needs to be taken.
I am awaiting the response with great interest.  I have the same thing going on.  I have not had a mammo yet, but am scheduling one on Monday.  At first I thought it may be just "nerves" and the heart thing, as I am under alot of stress at this point in my life.  I also have very dense breasts and consume caffeine. The pains are like sharp stinging pains and then sometimes is seems as if there is a burning sensation.  Is that what you are having?  YOu are not alone!

Had the ultra-sound done this morning and the Dr came in and said that they can't see anything abnormal, that the images show the same thing, and nothing sticks out. The Dr. did feel and confrimed that he also felt the lump in my breast that is giving me pain, and said that he would discuss it with my family Dr, and she can then decide if they want to schedule and Mamogram. So I haven't heard anything from my Dr. yet today and probably won't now since it's after 5pm. I am scheduled to see her again on the 16th of this month for a recheck, so maybe she is just going to wait until then. Anyway the lump in there is still giving me pain. I have limited my caffine intake a lot, so maybe it will go away now. Not sure what is going on, but I would sure like to know. All the worries are making me depressed. Thanks for your input.
iowagal,

I also am from Iowa. Please email me so that we can share stories and keep each up to date, and also for support. I think that we have a lot in common, from the way it sounds. My feel like sharp stinning pains too, and sometimes feels like it's burning or on fire. At first I though it was also maybe a heart condition. But now I know it's not. Again, please email me. Thanks!
I went to my Dr today and she said she can feel nothing abnormal.  I have such dense breasts from all the caffeine, but I think she is right.  I have a mammo scheduled for next week as it has been about a year and a half since the last one and I want to know for sure that all is well.  I have been under alot of stress for sometime now and we think it is probably stress related.  Definately not the heart.  She said the pains would last minutes and not just seconds.  My mind certainly feels somewhat relieved at this point.  Will be much better when the mammo tests are in and ok.  We have up'd my dose of "nerve" med.  I am ready for this "stinging pain" to go away though.  It is bothersome, don't you think?  Keep me posted on what is going on with you.  Hopefully this will end quickly for both of us!
Hello iagal,

Yes I wish that the pain and discomfort would end also. So that I could feel more at ease. I am having an MRI done on Monday for some other issues that I'm having with my neck and back, and maybe that will show something there also, as far as my breast. I think that the Dr. included that on there. If not I will discuss with her Monday, when my husband goes in for his follow-up.

I have really limited my caffine intake. I switched my pop habit to caffine free, but I still drink regular coffee in the mornings. On average I drink 2 pots of coffee a day.

Hope all goes well with your MAM. Please keep me updated on how your doing and what they end up finding out. I will keep you posted on this end also. I must say though, that since I have been on limited caffine intake that the stinging pain in my breast seems almost gone. I don't know if that is why, or because she has me on pain meds??????? Either way, I'm glad it is feeling better!!!

Take Care! :)
Hi, I have something like your problem, please let me know what your outcome was....thank you,,,,,survival gym
I'm also 28 years old and I just gave birth on feb 13 2005, I used to brestfeed my daughter but I stopped for no reason. As soon as I stopped I felt a breast mass on my left breast and it's painful. If I sneeze it hurts and i don't know what this is. My doctor gave me antibiotics and I'm already taking it for 4 days but there's no good result yet. My doctor told me to take it for 7 days. I hope it's going to go away in seven days. He also told me that if it does not go away, I will go back and the'll do more testing probably ultrasound. I pnly felt the lump or mass when I stopped breastfeeding.
I've also had a very similar experience. My left breast has had a painful lump under the nipple for about 6 months now. I've tried to talk to a few doctors/nurses at my school health center, but everyone kept telling me it was most likely nothing since I am so young (22 years old). I finally got one doctor to examine me and refer me to the hospital to have an ultrasound done, and lo and behold, they told me I have a lump. I'm nervously waiting for my biopsy in 2 days (Wed 5/25), so they can test whether it's cancerous or not. Can anyone tell me more about the biopsy process? I've been pretty nervous and emotional inside (even though I've been trying to hide it to other people.)

When those of y'all who had the painful lumps had a mammogram/ultrasound performed, did they know for sure from there that it was only a cyst? Could it be that my ultrasound reading might be just a cyst still? or if they say it's a lump, it's pretty certain that it's either a benign or cancerous lump
I feel better just reading these posts!

I had the same pains described by all of you. I remember having general pain in the same area when my grandson would lay on my chest as a baby, that was six years ago. About 2 months ago I experienced a stinging/burning pain in the same location and was scared that it might be cancer.

I am a 46DD so I was thinking it might be something to do with muscle stress because I experience burning in my neck and shoulder when I do not wear a supportive bra. So I began to wear a sports bra to bed and also wore my wrist brace (carpal)and it stopped. Then last night I went to get up out of bed and go downstairs to answer the door and there was that pain again, it actually stopped me in my tracks it was so painful!

I was under lots of stress yesterday, hadn't taken meds for nerves and thyroid in a couple days (too busy to get to the drug store for refill ugh!...got em now!) Plus I drink quite a bit of coffee. So sounds about right huh?

But I really think it might have to do with the stress on my muscles due to my size.

In any event, I feel lots better after finding this forum, thanks for sharing!!!
Shelley
I feel much relief in reading stories about people with the same problem i have been having in my left breast, but i still do not feel 100% confident that it may be something more than just excessive caffine intake.I'm 30 years old and have been have pain for about 6 months now and my dr. assures me it is nothing to worry about but he insists that no tests need to be done.I would love to hear from somebody that has this similar problem and make me feel confident that i'm ok.
I found a lump in my left breast this past Friday morning. It had grown and had gotten uncomfortable by Sunday so I went to a walk-in clinic to have it checked out. The doctor I saw made an incision in my breast and drained it right there in the office. He did not preserve any of the fluid that came out and told me it was just an infection. He wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic and told me to put warm compresses on it. He said nothing about how much caffeine I drink. (I don't drink any if you were wondering) I am also 14 weeks pregnant and am quite scared. I don't have the pain that you are describing. My pain is an uncomfortable throb. Anyway, the lump is still there, even after he took out 1 1/2 teaspoons. And I don't know if I'm just scared and exaggerating, but it feels like it's getting bigger. I spoke with my Obstetrician and he said if it's not gone in a week to come and see him. I feel like I should be seen right away, but I don't want to take away that appointment from someone who may really need it, just in case I don't. I am so glad I found this forum. I don't feel so alone. I hope all of you are just fine after you find out the results!
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.