Breast Cancer Community

Painful breast

I woke up this morning with a very painful breast. There is a portion of my areola that is very swollen and red. I cant touch it to see if there is a lump or not. I stopped breastfeeding about 3 months ago. Im not sure what to do. Ive been using warm moist compresses but it seems to not help at all. The pain radiates up into my armpit. What could this be?

I'm not sure what it is, but it could be some type of infection.  I think you should see your OB/Gyne and get it checked out, particularly if the home remedies you've tried are not working.  You may need some type of antibiotic to help clear it up.

Let us know how things work out, ok?

Warmly,

Chris
Healingwell62
Breast Cancer 1 & 2 Community Leader
I went to the doctors yesterday... they found a small mass and drained it. Today it seems alot worse.. the lump is bigger and almost half of my breast is bright red. I am going back tomorrow to have it checked again.
Great idea.  Stay with it until it is all better.

Keep me posted, ok?

Chris
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.