I just picked up the copy of the report from the radiologist after getting a diagnostic mammogram.Here are some of the comments after my first screening mammogram:
~~~"...upper outer quadrant of the right breast there is a group of calcifications. Although not quite as tightly clustered as might be typically expected for carcinoma, these calcifications are somewhat pleomorphic." "Scattered elements of increased density consistent with fibroglandular tissue are noted bilaterally, expecially in the upper outer quadrants. No significant asymmetry of the breast parenchymal pattern is demonstrated."
These are comments after a diagnostic mammogram: ~~~"...a localized grouping of microcalcifications which are in a segmental distributions. These do not layer on the 90 degree lateral view and some of the calcifications occupy a linear configuration." (I will be getting a stereotactic needle core biopsy.) "The patient will likely require 2 separate incisions as the calcifications extend over a course of nearly 2 cm."
What does all of this mean in terms of the chance that I may have DCIS? I am only 35 years old and simply followed my ob-gyn's instructions to get a screening mammogram! My biposy is not scheduled until March 12 - should I call back and ask for an earlier date? Or does it much matter?
I also had mastitis the day I came home from the hospital 4 years ago after delivering my daughter. Would this infection cause the type of calcifications they are reporting? By the way, the BI-RADS code is 4. Any additional comments would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!
Dear Elise, The results of the mammogram lead to whether or not further investigation is required. In your case with the above results they indicate further investigation is recommended and that being biopsy. A BI-RAD code 4 means that "there is a suspicious looking abnormality, it is not characteristic but has a reasonable probability of malignancy. Biopsy should be considered." Until the tissue is actually examined will they be able to determine whether DCIS is present or not. I suppose some scarring from mastitis could be present, again this is just speculation and until the tissue is checked . . .
Whether or not you ask to have the biopsy at an earlier date, this would be more for your piece of mind in getting it over with sooner, and would not necessarily alter the results in that amount of time.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.