Breast Cancer Forum

Raloxifen

I had a mastectomy 7 years ago, took Tamoxifen for 5 years. I had been on an estrogen patch which the doctor stopped immediately after I was diagnosed. Now my current doctor wants me to take raloxifen(Evista) and I am uncertain as to whether this is a good idea.
Dear DeannaM, Raloxifen is a SERM, or Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator which means that it affects some of the same receptors that estrogen does, but not all, and in some instances, it blocks estrogen.  It acts like estrogen to prevent bone loss and improve lipid profiles (decreases total and LDL-cholesterol but does not raise triglycerides), but it has the potential to block some estrogen effects such as those that lead to breast cancer and uterine cancer.  

Raloxifen has been approved for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.  History of breast cancer is not a contraindication to use of raloxifen, however, it must be used with caution in persons with a history of blood clots, stroke, uterine or cervical cancer.

The risks and benefits of this treatment need to be discussed with your doctor, as they relate to your specific situation.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.